I've heard of sharing a swim but ..........

jak

Just wondered if anyone else had similar experiences ..........

Last week my mate went fishing on a narrow stretch of the River Ivel. Set himself up for legering, baited up and settled down. A bit later on a husband and wife appeared and although there was no one else on the river he fished about 30 yards to my mates left whilst she was only 10 Yards to his left (it's a 3 mile stretch with no marked swims!)

After 20 minutes with no action, and fancying a bit of space, he took a rod and a few bits and went stalking. Left behind his chair, umbrella , rod rests and main bag and added some more bait in the hopes the fish would move in.

When he came back 1/2 an hour later the woman was standing by his chair and fishing in his swim ......... casting to the spot he'd just baited up! He said he was amazed and when challenged (I can only guess at the words he used) all the woman could say was ..... I thought you'd finished !!!!

She went back to her own swim and a bit later caught a 6 1/2lb barbel. My mate blanked and needless to say didn't stay much longer.

Am I just getting old and cranky or are more and more anglers concerned with fishing the swim they want with no respect to other anglers space???

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one's lifespan........

He's lucky his gear was still there when he got back!

While I can see what you mean with there being miles of free bank, he did want to occupy several swims, so I am not surprised it happened. There are places up here, where I have been fishing and catching, and after landing a fish have cast in, only to see two floats! Someone, (usually kids) have cast from high banking behind me, or let their float run from upstream, into my swim while I'm still in it! Another is the leger from the far bank ploy, which usually ends up with a tug of war across the river.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

That is not on. You can't fish in someone else's swim! Even if he was trying somewhere else at the time.

I make a point of avoiding people when I fish because I fish to get away from people! Therefore I assume that other people don't want to be disturbed too. But some people don't have a clue about personal space and respecting their fellow anglers. Thankfully, as the days get colder and wetter there will be fewer people on the bank.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

Can't agree. If you are going to rove, then rove, don't leave all your gear plonked in what might be the only hotspot and then wander off for half an hour. Germans and sunbeds comes to mind. It's one thing leaving your rod in the rest (not cast in) and stretching your legs for a bit, but if you actually go off and fish somewhere else then tough luck, you can't be fishing two places at once!

this behaviour must be as old as the hills, its only happened to me twice (by the same guy) the guy was fishing about 60 yards away and was facing me head on as canal bends, he seen me pull in a roach of 3oz (only thing i had caught all day and the swim was starting to pick up. just as that he marched over with all his gear and sat his ass down to the right of me half a meter from myself........ i cast from my right and he could clearly see that :blink:

i decide to cast overhead from now on but as soon as i removed my bait to rebait he cast right into where i had just taken mines out. later when i cast somewhere else thinking if i ignore him he would go away... man was i wrong 5 minutes into my ignoring campagne his kids show up x5 :mellow: i had 2 to the left of me half a meter away as usual and 2 behind me (remember i decided to cast overhead) and 1 next to their dad crying cause he just hit her on the head with the rod for moaning :huh: so how the hell do i cast now. rather than make a song and dance about it i packed up and headed for home

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Outrageous! I cant agree with you colin, if your tackle is in a peg then the peg is taken, wether you are roving elsewhere or not. What if you had pre baited the swim for say barbel and put in about a 10ers worth of bait but wanted to let the fish get confident etc before you fished it? Personally if id have pre baited a swim and someone muscled in there would be fireworks. What is fishing coming too when there is competition for pegs on a river anyway? Its a joke, I know of certain pegs where theres almost a cue and this is on a river, cant these people find there own fish or is it that there are too many people in fishing?

this behaviour must be as old as the hills

Andy's right, but certainly not everyone's like it.

A few weeks ago I got down to the river really early, but an hour or so later a chap and his son turned up, looking upset that the swim they'd obviously had their eye on had already been taken. After a chat, he asked really nicely if I'd mind if they set up about 10 yards downstream. I wasn't thrilled, but he seemed a nice bloke, so I said ok. As it turned out they were perfectly pleasant and silent as mice, and even gave me a beer to say thanks!

Outrageous! I cant agree with you colin, if your tackle is in a peg then the peg is taken, wether you are roving elsewhere or not. What if you had pre baited the swim for say barbel and put in about a 10ers worth of bait but wanted to let the fish get confident etc before you fished it? Personally if id have pre baited a swim and someone muscled in there would be fireworks. What is fishing coming too when there is competition for pegs on a river anyway? Its a joke, I know of certain pegs where theres almost a cue and this is on a river, cant these people find there own fish or is it that there are too many people in fishing?

Just curious, as you said bait your swim, leave your rod, its your swim, then go looking for a another likely swim, to try and find the fish.

I have 2 licenses, so is it ok for me to set up bait up 3 smims, leave a rod on each, not in the water. and then go roving with my fourth rod. cover all bases as they say.

I think not, bait up when you first get there, set your gear up, have a cup of tea or what ever, if you feel the need to wait a bit longer.

fishing is a challenge, pick your swim, then pit your wits, and your exeperince and fish the swim you have chosen.

much more satisfying i would say. like the guys in a match, who draw there peg and fish it the best way they know how.

sean

woman want me, fish fear me

Was it the common by any chance? My experience of the common is three miles of river with about 20 pegs worth fishing depending on time of year. Normally everyone heads for the brook if you leave your gear there someone will move in. Although i do agree its not right but nor are a lot of things in life.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

In my opinion they were both wrong, its just not acceptable to leave your gear on the bank and wander off, he obviously wanted the best of both worlds. She (the other angler), showed a lack of angling etiquette by actually fishing 'his' swim.