PERCH BAITS

Guest Darren Clarke

Darren, when you first registered for these forums, the registration page informed you that at first you will be under moderator approval - that means myself or one of the other moderators have to read your post first and then approve it. Sometimes it only takes minutes before one of us sees that a post requires approving, sometimes it will take longer....

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Darren Ive not got either the experience or faith in deads to really help you out here.Steve Burke is the man and Im sure when he sees this he will be able to offer you good advice.I know he is a great beliver in using a sensitive "float ledgering" set up for deads.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Darren, one thing to realise with deadbaits is that you'll catch less perch than with lobworms. However the average size is likely to be bigger.

As Budgie said I'm very keen on deadbaits for perch - provided that is they're freshly-killed freshwater ones as I posted earlier. Half baits are excellent too, although there wasn't time to show them on the program I did on perch deadbaiting for the "Predator" series on Sky TV.

It's not float-ledgering I prefer though but laying on overdepth with a waggler. This is the same as my favourite livebait method, but I don't undershot the waggler as much, just sufficient to be able to see which way the perch is running and to read the take.

If I have to use a ledger rig I use a very similar one to you. The only difference is that I'd use a somewhat larger hook as I've found I miss too many takes if not. My favourite is a wide gape size 6, going up to a size 2 on big baits.

As you say, it may just be that conditions aren't right. I find that in bright weather at this time of year the big perch often feed just at dusk.

The other factor is of course location. However this is another issue altogether, and I'd again refer you to the articles I mentioned earlier. Do feel free of course to ask any specific questions on location, or indeed any other matter.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Guest Darren Clarke

Hi,

Firstly, thanks for the help with the posting. I thought i was doing something wrong for some reason.

Back to the perch, its interesting Steve that you mention half baits. I was fishing the same venue back in May using a half a Roach (the head section) whilst fishing for eels and had some amazing results with eels but no Perch. However the eels may not like the cold weather so much now, so it may be a different story. It was back in May though that i discovered these big Perch because whilst i was reeling in a small Roach, a monster Perch grabbed it on the way in but held on to it for only a second or two just enough for me to see what it was. As you can imagine that got me quite excited and since then i have been trying to catch one.

What would you have a preference for, half or whole baits? I forgot to mention that livebaiting is not aloud.

What would you have a preference for, half or whole baits?

I don't have a strong preference. Half baits leave a greater scent trail, so presumably would be particularly productive in coloured water. However you can always use chopped-up fish as groundbait. On the other hand whole baits would be more natural, and so might be expected to be especially effective where deadbaits or even livebaits have been used a fair bit.

On some waters I can't catch baits as small as my favourite 5" size so then I'm forced to use half-baits! I'd add that I don't like using very small deadbaits as they're often swallowed down too quickly. This of course increases the risk of deep-hooking, that with perch can be fatal.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Guest Darren Clarke

Thanks for all the info Steve, i've read your articles several times and watched the predators series time and time again, both are fantastic but its a shame the program about Perch fishing was'nt an hour long. Nevermind, i'm going to stick at it anyway and hopefully it will all come good.

Regards