First Ever Fish

Miggy

Hi Fellas,

I just recently got into fishing ( bout 3 - 4 months ago ) when i went to watch my mates and have a little go myself, and i was just wondering when you guys started fishing and what your first fish was,

if you have a picture then please post it :

If someone can tell me how to post pics i will post my first fish

cheers fellas

mitch

Edited by Miggy

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Age 1.5 years (roughly) and from what I was told, a bluegill was probably the first. Nearly 60 years ago so I'm pretty hazy on the details. From photos (don't have them any longer though) I had a few bass by age 2.5.

First fish I can distincly remember was a drum of about 11 lbs when I was about 7. Memorable since I was fishing on a muddy river bank and the fish pulled me down the mud and into the water. Got it in the net though and was proud as punch. I don't think you have the species. They have a strange bone structure in the head that allows them to make a thumping sound like a bass drum and they like to shelter under boats and drum.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

A bootlace eel about 8 inches long , back in the days when the rivers were full of 'em.

its funny but considering how much I love fishing I can't remember what year it was ! I reckon about 1973/74 (probably why I can't remember) from that point on I was as deeply hooked as that unfortunate little eel.

First fish was a very small roach from the cannal at Bathampton when I was 6.Dont count it as my first "proper" capture as I just wound in and it was on! didnt see the float move or anything!

What I class as my first "proper" capture was a tench of around 2lb caught floatfishing at Bitterwell Lake about 6 months later.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Age 1.5 years (roughly) and from what I was told, a bluegill was probably the first. Nearly 60 years ago so I'm pretty hazy on the details. From photos (don't have them any longer though) I had a few bass by age 2.5.

First fish I can distincly remember was a drum of about 11 lbs when I was about 7. Memorable since I was fishing on a muddy river bank and the fish pulled me down the mud and into the water. Got it in the net though and was proud as punch. I don't think you have the species. They have a strange bone structure in the head that allows them to make a thumping sound like a bass drum and they like to shelter under boats and drum.

My first species was probably bluegill or crappie (small north american fish considered "panfish") and I caught it when I was 8 or 9.

Hey, Newt, I did a report in my Biology of Fishes class on the Freshwater Drum! The males have a tendon that rubs on the swimming bladder to make a drumming sound. They have larger than normal otoliths (ear-stones) that were(are) kept for luck. They also have the greatest latitudinal range of a freshwater fish in North America. From Hudson Bay, Canada to the Usumacinta River in Guatemala. Fun to catch and not too picky! 11 lbs is a big one! My biggest so far might be 3-4 lbs, though they can get pretty big up here too (MN state record is 28 lbs, I think).

Dave D.

My first fish was a roach of about 4oz caught from the river Blythe underneath a railway bridge, struck so hard that the fish flew out over my shoulder and bounced off the bridge (v.sorry but I was only about four and just got overexcited about my first bite, tend to look after my catch a bit beeter than that now!). Funny though thirty years on and I still remember every little detail, but have forgotten catching numerous big carp since then, says something about this carp game doesn't it, you can end up just being a fish catching machine rather than a pleasure angler ! Move over carpin, kayaking is the future !!!!!

Budgie, Bitterwell, thats just outside Bristol isn't it, remember cycling up there with a rod and creel on my back when I was at Uni, caught my first double from there... Is it still a fishery ?

My first ever fish was a small roach. It was in 1977 and I was on holiday in Scotland with my parents staying near the Lake of Monteith. There is a small river feeding the lake that I fished in the evenings.

I went back there last year to see if it was the same as I remember, which it was pretty much. The log cabins we stayed in were still there as was the river, although it was a lot smaller than I remember.

My first fish was a coalfish as well, caught from North Shields Fish Quay, we used to call them Poddlers in Geordieland.

My first coarse fish was a perch from Killingworth Lake near Newcastle, I caught both, within weeks of each other, when I was eleven.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.