How To Fillet Fish

Elton

hairy beast - nice video and well designed for your intended audience of novice anglers who need the basics.

For any who think this sort of thing is easy, try a small experiment. Take some action you've done a thousand times like fileting a fish, making a sandwich, changing a tyre, or something similar and from memory, write down each step in the process so that when you have finished, a person who'd never done it or seen it done could follow your directions and get a decent result.

Leave nothing out, assume they know nothing, and give all steps in the proper order and in adequate detail.

Now post what you have written on here (new topic I think) and ask others to follow your directions exactly. No deviation allowed and no using what they already know; just do what you have written and exactly as you wrote it.

Ask them to post the results of their attempt.

If you are shy (don't want to try it so publically) just ask a friend to use your directions with no additional coaching and see how they get on.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hairy beast - nice video and well designed for your intended audience of novice anglers who need the basics.

For any who think this sort of thing is easy, try a small experiment. Take some action you've done a thousand times like fileting a fish, making a sandwich, changing a tyre, or something similar and from memory, write down each step in the process so that when you have finished, a person who'd never done it or seen it done could follow your directions and get a decent result.

Leave nothing out, assume they know nothing, and give all steps in the proper order and in adequate detail.

Now post what you have written on here (new topic I think) and ask others to follow your directions exactly. No deviation allowed and no using what they already know; just do what you have written and exactly as you wrote it.

Ask them to post the results of their attempt.

If you are shy (don't want to try it so publically) just ask a friend to use your directions with no additional coaching and see how they get on.

cheers Newt, bet those who try it get a few suprises, i certainly did.

Seaside, cheers mate, nice to see you are getting your son started at an early age

darlick, who mention a lad called charles showing you how to fillett mackerel, dont know if you saw the way i do them at the end of the cod vid, would be very interested in seeing/or if you could explain how charles does them.

Below are the few hints and tips i posted that you all should have read before the vid, would be interested in your views on some of the points mentioned, such as knives etc

A few hints and tips that might help you fillett your catch to go along with the vidoes that are now up on NESA. And when i get a donation of a ling i will video that for you.

1/ One of the most important things is a good sharp knife, there are three basic types of knife for filletting, the good old traditional long narrow bladed knife. A long broad bladed knike, which many chefs prefer and a short bladed (about 4-5inch) filletting knife. After using all three I find I prefer the traditional long narrow bladed knife and the more worn the better, which gives it more flexability when running along bones. Which ever you choose make sure it is very sharp or you will ruin the fish you are filletting.

2/The bones and skin of a fish will quite quickly dull the edge of your knife, keep sharpening it while you work. There are three main ways of sharpening a knife, the one I prefer is the good old oil stone. Other ways are the sharpners you can buy from any store or the traditional butchers steel.

3/ A good base to work on, and preferably near a sink with plenty of cold running water. Do not use hot water as even tepid water will slightly cook fish and if you have it on your hands it will take ages to rid of the fishy smell.

4/ A bucket handy to dump all the bits in and a decent towel to constantly wipe your hands with. Slippy and wet hands after a while get cold and this can lead to accidents. I know this by experience

In the videos I have tried to go as slow as possible so you can see what I am doing. I have also filletted the fish in such a way as to reduce the amount of mess, i.e. guts and also to make the filletts very presentable and also by skinning and boning making them very suitable for the finicky and children. If you are wondering about the belly flaps, with a fish under 4-5lb these are not worth much and are usually discarded unless there is enough then they will make fish cakes. I keep the bigger belly parts for the same use.

the videos can be viewed at.

Hairybeast no disrespect on video nice job i have a job down loading photograph.

The way you filleted your mackerel is the way that i have done for a long time like you say very easy but still a faf taking of the belly flap charles a good mate from Ireland showed me how to fillet them fully gutted which takes seconds and is olso very clean just the same way as chat haddock and that way i end up with a nice bait for the pots ,a head with all the guts belly flap in one piece is a top lobster bait.you were saying about knives a short blade is very good for this job. i will try to down load some pics not to hot on this computer lark.good luck with the ling. regards darlick

Seems to me the only thing your hot on is beer and jack & coke :lol: Never saw jo today will try and get some cover before the weekend. Forecast looks all westerly for the next 4 days so we might just get some string wet. If this high pressure stays i will take bait out friday night

Hairybeast no disrespect on video nice job i have a job down loading photograph.

The way you filleted your mackerel is the way that i have done for a long time like you say very easy but still a faf taking of the belly flap charles a good mate from Ireland showed me how to fillet them fully gutted which takes seconds and is olso very clean just the same way as chat haddock and that way i end up with a nice bait for the pots ,a head with all the guts belly flap in one piece is a top lobster bait.you were saying about knives a short blade is very good for this job. i will try to down load some pics not to hot on this computer lark.good luck with the ling. regards darlick

cheers look forward to seeing them, i used to leave the belly flap on, but as i used to do a lot of fishing over the West Coast, Luce Bay, Port Patrick area i found the belly flaps made a nice sized shaped bait for casting, so i started taking them with the fillett and then froze them. I can see why they are left on for pot bait, suppose like anything else horses for courses. But still like to see how chrles does it.

cheers look forward to seeing them, i used to leave the belly flap on, but as i used to do a lot of fishing over the West Coast, Luce Bay, Port Patrick area i found the belly flaps made a nice sized shaped bait for casting, so i started taking them with the fillett and then froze them. I can see why they are left on for pot bait, suppose like anything else horses for courses. But still like to see how chrles does it.

just had a useful tip from salinitysam of WSF, if you can use sea water for washing your fish in if you can as the chlorine in the tap water can damage the fish. That is why i use running water, do not leave your fish lying in tap water, and also i ommitted that you should dry your filletts thoroughly. No doubt there will be other little things that will crop up which will help. Any other hints tips will be appreciated.