quantity vs quantity

chesters1

being playing with my mobius and have a few questions on movies

it can record in .mov ,.avi or mp4 which is better?

once it had some footage i bunged it into movie maker to join the bits together (it records set time blocks with a second overlap as i presume they all do so you need to join them up ) all good ,forgot to tell the camera to invert the recording so turned it the right way up in movie maker so far so good .

not sure what to save the movie as so plumped for mp4 ?

really big file at 720px30fps! 1.7 gb for 23 minutes at 43kb upload its going to take a day uploading it to dropbox !

is there a better filetype to save to that keeps the quality but makes the finished movie a smaller upload ,i know theres no such thing as perfect but i need your more experienced advise please

ps the next one wont have audio ,with the camera discreetly hiding under my cap brim the mic hears every puff and gurgle as this fat bloke drags himself up the hill!

first time with movie maker (anything free thats better?) i presume you can insert writing to highlight the highlights you would mention verbally?

quite impressed with the little thing while cheapish its small and light enough to mount with velcro ,passable image quality in good light but its on auto so could be tinkered with as the software has plenty of them to play with

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

chesters.

As I understand it there is no inherent difference in quality between avi, mp4 and mov. They are just different envelopes to put video and audio data into.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

its a damn big envelope pc been uploading 3 hours yesterday and from 7 am this morning still 6 hours left according to dropbox LOL

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

So how big (in megabytes) is the file and what is it encoded as?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

So how big (in megabytes) is the file and what is it encoded as?

Sorry I see you already said some of the above in your original post.

What you need is a video transcoder. There are lots of them out there and if you ask which is the "best" you'll probably get a different answer from everyone that you ask.

If you are looking for something that is free and easy to use you could do worse than look at this software.

It's called "Handbrake" and it's Open Source.

https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

Here is a brief step by step guide on how you can transcode your video to a specific file size, for example 720MB, so that it would fit on a single CD.

http://mediacommons.psu.edu/2013/04/using-handbrake-to-convert-a-video-to-a-target-size/

Cheers ,i will have a play once this files gone ,as you can amagine just trying to send this reply has problems

Your essentially using an hd format at 720. This is where your file size is coming from.

Think of the end user and what your playing the video on.

Standard dvd video is roughly 720*480. Up scaling DVD players will change that to suit the given tv it's being played upon.

look at films you download from iTunes etc...SD come in at about 1.5 gb...when you go HD that virtually doubles to 3 gb and beyond.

So, will people view your video full screen? Will it be burnt to dvd! Do you actually need full HD?

To be honest your going to be vastly better off investing in a good video editing suite! It will allow you not only edit effectively and add effects and text but also quickly and easily change your file formats and resolutions to fit your exact needs.

I now use Power Director http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultra/features_en_GB.html?&r=1

But Roxio NXT was also a good system http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/creator/

They have the benefit of giving you a rough idea of the output file size of your footage and also take a lot if the yard work out of transcoding to other formats etc.

Edited by kirisute

cheers all the camera also does 640 x 480 but i am not sure yet what the FOV is on that ,the 720p has selectable FOV whether its 30 or 60FPS ,i chose 30fps trying to get a smaller filesize so now i maybe going 640 for uploading to dropbox but as you said earlier once i have tamed it it can be edited down to the highlights.

the biggest hinderance is not the camera or the movie but the absurd upload speed of 40kbs i endure, 15 hours (another 44 mins) to upload 23 mins of footage is ridiculous

strange everytime i post on here i get a box

you have chosen to open "ads" from http etc googleads.g.doubleclick.net ,how do i stop this appearing ? i ofcourse dont open nor save it

hmmm just noticed i should have written quantity VS quality ,my figers obviasly were out of sync with my thoughts

Edited by chesters1