How good is your memory ?

Vagabond

The thread re the Continental Divide stimulated me to re-read one of my many books by John Geirach

Found this

There was fresh coffee on, good, strong, free fisherman's coffee that took two spoons of powdered nondairy creamer without changing colour.

I remember quoting that about two years ago - remembering it was from Geirach, but could not say from exactly where. Several Geirach aficionados responded, saying it sounded familiar, but they couldn't put their finger on it's precise location either.

To put us all out of our misery, it's in "Even Brook Trout Get the Blues" towards the end of Chapter 15 (on pike)

On the subject of memory, the late Roger Standen could remember the exact weights, to the nearest ounce, of fish caught ten or twenty years previously. Not only his own fish, but those of his fishing mates as well.

In conversation once, a particular stretch of the Hampshire Avon was mentioned. I said I had never fished it.

"Oh yes you have" said Roger, "You fished there with Tony and me in the back end of 1967"

"If you say so" I replied, "but I can't remember it"

"Well you bloody well should do," said Roger "You had a roach of 1-12"

...and blast me, when I dug out my old fishing logs, he was right !

How well do you remember details from trips many years ago?

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

i dont even recognise myself in the mirror in the morning.

names never click so my list of regulars "names" to be put on my bailiffs pad are "things" pink hat man ,yellow carrier bag man ,little white van man ,all the time they wear their hats carry their bags and park their little white vans in the same spot i'm fine.

strangely one anglers number i remember is 1044 from 5 years ago so although his number has changed hes 1044 man ,its also a very nice reel which is the reason i remembered 1044 in the first place LOL

as for fish my competitive spirit is long gone fish are just fish ,i take a keepnet but never use it and i never take scales and i only have two pictures of me with a fish one in the 60's one in the seventies ,one i found on a long forgotten negative one from a former girlfriend of the time who kept it for some strange reason

i cannot hardly remember what i did yesterday and i live an extremely dull and repetitive life

got probably 150 angling books never read one even classics and i have had several, book of the perch ,fighting barbel (both sold on) etc .i was told if you read them the writing fades and watches only show the time when you look at them

unfortunately i "collect" (or is it accumulate or store) as a kid everything i owned was burnt in front of me as punishment for not putting it away on many occasions,i now presumably make up for that accumulating crap

can good and coffee be in the same sentence

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

i'm pretty useless at remembering names ,and remembering where I've put things ,some ware safe or where I could lay my hands on them at a moments notice .and I can be a bit dodgy on dates ,but I fairly good at remembering the fish I've caught and conservations I've had and things I've read or learn't ,but ask me why I just went into the kitchen and come strait out again empty handed ,or why if I've just got out my car and automatically pressed the thob to lock the doors and set the alarm ,I have to turn round and do it again ,or why I constantly forget my keys which sit on the side next to where I sit watching Tv/using this pc and are constantly in my field of vision ,yet I still don't realise I've forgotten them until i'm stood next to my car with my hand in a empty pocket searching for the keys ,same goes for my wallet I often forget it goto a shop walk around filling the basket only to realise as I head too the tills that I've forgotten my wallet

yet again ,and the wiered bit is I can recall every instance in great detail ,like it was yesterday or last weekend when I drove to Halfords selected the items I wanted pun my hand to my rear pocket to realise the wallet was still on the side board next to whare my keys sit (which I also forgot ,went back to pick up ,in so doing must of looked at the wallet twice both times leaving it behind or not recognising it ) I put everything back ,calmly walking out of Halfords drove home ,got the wallet ,drove back to Halfords and picked out the items again and paid for them .

I can even recall every instance of me filling the car with petrol and only realising i'd forgotten my wallet at the counter ready to pay .the fact that I find most stupid is I put them right near me where I can always see them & can pick them up if I go any ware ,but still forget them just as constantly .and although I like to plan all my fishing trips too the last detail ,I always forget something ,wether it be a item of bait or the chosen fishing reel of the day ,I even drove 30 odd miles to a match only to remember i'd forgotten my reels and had to go home to fetch them & return to the match .and I do the classic of going too the tackle shop just for bait ,and coming home with loads of little bits & bobs etc forgetting to stick to just buying bait as intended this time.

the weirdest thing is when I forget the name of everyday items ,even though I know that I know what it is .I cant remember its name and can only describe it by its function .or when someone swears blind they'd just asked me to do something not five minuets earlier ,and i'd completely forgotten to do it or the conservation (conservations I usually good at) but I can recall conversations i'd had 30years ago.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Well my memory is aided by my diaries - though I think I'd have remembered fishing a stretch of river that had yielded me a 1¾lb roach!

C.

Me too - usually, but this one fish seems to be the exception - to this day I can't remember that trip. Have looked at the log entry (now on computer) several times - it seems to have been the only fish that day. Perhaps if I returned to that stretch (Roger said it was a day-ticket water below the A31 bridge at Ringwood and we had bought tickets in the Ringwood tackle shop) the sight of the swim would jog my memory.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Some trips I can remember clearly, not necessarily ones where I caught something special, and others can be recalled if I look at my fishing diaries. And on the other side of the coin, I sometimes struggle to remember what I had for dinner the previous night!! Perhaps I should keep a diary for that as well :unsure:

All,

I am average I suspect - - - - - except on matters of angling.

The longer ago and the fewer living witnesses the larger the catch

Phone

I lie - an accepted custom whilst fishing in America. If challenged on a particular session or fish - I fess up the truth