Windows 8.1

The Flying Tench

When I got a new lap top 18 months ago it had Windows 8. Like many people I discovered it was a pain, but I have learned to live with it and know its foibles. But I keep getting messages pressurizing me to download 8.1. My fear is that this will be an 'improvement', ie better to a computer expert, but not a normal user.

Or is it really OK? Should I download the update?

Thanks

John

john clarke

It's better than 8!

Download it no worries.

Allows a few improvements in the interface and also allows boot direct to desktop instead of metro. Back end and user operation remains essentially exactly the same, you will hardly notice a difference except in the most obvious places.

Also gives a slightly better upgrade path to Windows 10 ( which I promise you you will want!)

I dunno about Win10 (not keeping up with cutting edge stuff these days) but totally agree that 8.1 is an improvement over 8.0 for average computer users. Win8 is absoutely faster and easier on resources than Win7 was and 8.1 allows you to work with either the new layout (yuck!! for me) or the more familiar Win7 desktop.

I like a touch screen on my phone but see no sense in it for a PC and while my current laptop is touchscreen enabled, I doubt I'll ever mess with it so the Win7 layout is fine for someone who likes to use the keyboard without even wanting to touch the screen.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I'm a big windows 8.1 fan, but it is a bit like marmite, defiantly get the update to 8.1 makes the system a lot less clunky! For lack of a better word. Newt windows 10 will be a mixture of 7+8 in one screen with some really cool features, for example great news for me as the win 10 is coming out on all windows devices which allows much better syncing of settings and files, also I can play games on my Xbox one with people playing on a PC, and for the super techie it will allow iron man like use of your computer with hololens, good news is like win8 for the first year it's a free upgrade!

www.prostate-cancer.org.uk Real Men Know About It

windows 10 isn't coming out on all devices at all! neither is it a mixture of 7 and 8!!

MS have stated they are cutting support for any of the Surface range that runs Windows RT or RT 8.1

windows 8 wasn't a free upgrade either! it was £25 for the first 6 months after release! then went full price!

Windows 10 will be THE FIRST time MS have given a free (modern) OS away (even though its the first year only) It will be free for Windows 7, windows 8.1, and windows phone 8.

Windows 10 is a build up from windows 8! it bares no resemblance to windows 7 at all!

the user interface (for the average joe) is exactly like windows 8 except with the addition of a live tile start menu system and the return of the "classic" start menu options that allow for access to programs in a similar way as windows 7 or windows 8/8.1 with something like start.8 installed.

the back end of windows 10 has been significantly changed from windows 8. but for most users just think of it like windows 8 with a nice shiny new start menu and the new Spartan browser (if that's the name they stick with for it)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/about

Edited by kirisute

I've updated to Windows 8.1. The only small problem I've found is that when I click 'print' the option on the print screen, instead of being my printer, is 'pdf creator'. Is there any way of setting it so that the first option (whatever they call that) is my printer?

john clarke