wierd baits

Miggy

Just wondering if any of you fellas have ever tried any baits that usually you would never think to try and what they were and if so , what did you catch on it / them

cheers fellas

mitch

Sugar Puffs.

Spread into the marginal weeds, they can drive carp barmy.

Rice Crispies.

Trickle them into a small river to draw chub up towards you and then put a caster on the hook.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

A guy I've spoken to on the tidal Thames has said Chinese mitten crabs are deadly - apparently the perch, carp, chub, and pike have started feeding on them in earnest. Quite difficult to get hold of though, you have to go somewhere at low tide and walk around on the littoral zone turning over rocks (dangerous and messy!).

Not really such a weird bait but an alien one.

Once, I acccidentally picked up a can of Minted Garden peas from the cupboard, instead of sweetcorn. I didn't realise the mistake until I had driven 15 miles to the lake, and then tackled up.

However the skimmers and pastie carp loved them.

Regards from Gareth.

When we were kids we were on a camping holiday at a place in Sussex with a large estate lake. The night before we made Coq au vin on an open fire. For bait the next day we were using left over chicken skin, which was rubbery rather than crispy. The small roach seemed to love it!

Do a thread search on weird / strange baits and you'll find loads more that people have used, such as...

Snot!

Pork Pie

Tutti Fruti sweets

tin foil (for mackerel)

Ear wig

frogs

and many, many more!

Cheers,

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

Tell me, Simon - how exactly do you get snot to stay on the hook!

S'not easy, I think you have to nasal hair rig it :blink:

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John