Help with catching Pike

10 brownie points

I am a entering a pike competition on Sunday and for a first time trying for pike normally sea fishing (mackerel bashing plus some experience fishing charter boats) this competition is going to be on a large lake from a boat, any handy hints?????

Edited by 10 brownie points

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really dont know what to say to this :( The trouble is Lewis that quite unknown to you you have brought up in one question the top two don'ts on most experienced pike anglers list!

Please allow me to try and explain without comming over as a kill joy.

Im often asked for my advice for first time pikers.The bottom line of my answer is to always go with an experienced pike angler first to learn the ropes.This is more for the pikes safty than yours!

The reason I say this is that despite being the apex predator in our freshwater and looking mighty fearsome the pike is an extremely delicate fish.Combine this with the tackle we use for them and you will soon see that learning how to both handle and unhook them is extremely important to prevent damage and indeed death to them.

It can be somewhat daunting to unhook your first pike (especially if it has taken the hooks deep) no matter how many books/web sites youve read or vidio's/DVD's youve watched.With an experienced piker showing you these things it is a lot easier to learn and a lot safer for the fish.

The other point is that you will be fishing for them in a match.It is thought by many that pike are not really a suitable species to target under match conditions.Several reasons-

Like most large fish they dont like being retained for long periods.Also when in a competitive situation an angler might be tempted to delay the strike a bit longer than normal to try and avoid missing the run regardless of the very real danger of deep hooking.They are also a species that doesnt put up with fishing pressure very well.

However the rights or wrongs of match fishing for pike is really a personal choice that can only be made once you have some experience of fishing for them.

I doubt that you will not fish your match just because Ive said so.I wont give you any actual "tips" to catch them either.What I will say though is that if you are really keen to learn how to fish for pike then you are more than welcome to attend either the Pike Teach ins and fish ins we do on Anglers Net or attend any of the ones I do for clubs through out the country.Here you can meet other pike anglers in the same position as your self and learn about tackle,methods,baits etc as well as that all important knowledge of handling and unhooking.

What I will do though is give you this link to the Pike Anglers Club of Great Britain web site.This will show you good handling and fishing practices.

http://www.pacgb.co.uk/tipindex.html

The thought of a beginer(s) fishing from a boat for pike worries me full stop.

Lastly Lewis please take this advice in the spirit it is intended and not as personal critisism of your self.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Unfortunately the Pike Anglers Club now endorses pike matches, nevertheless I'd follow Budgie's advice.

Guys, I've made my views on piking clear before now however I think if 10 brownie points if going to enter this match then we should al least give him some tips in pike care.

For the record 10 brownie points if it were me I would use a large single hook with the barb pinched down. I I would go and buy the longest pair of artery forceps I could find. make sure you have a large net and a large nhooking mat. Finally get your self a sturdy glove for "gloving" pike if they are deep hooked.

These may not be the most popular methods but to be honest I don't often fish for pike as I loathe treble hooks.

Rich

Guys, I've made my views on piking clear before now however I think if 10 brownie points if going to enter this match then we should al least give him some tips in pike care.

Thats why I put the link in to the PAC Handling and unhooking section

For the record 10 brownie points if it were me I would use a large single hook with the barb pinched down. I I would go and buy the longest pair of artery forceps I could find. make sure you have a large net and a large nhooking mat. Finally get your self a sturdy glove for "gloving" pike if they are deep hooked.

Do not use a large single hook as due to the extrea depth of penetration these can be lethal

Extra long forceps are nigh on near to useless for unhooking a pike through the gill covers in the event of deep hooking

These may not be the most popular methods but to be honest I don't often fish for pike as I loathe treble hooks.

Then with all respect why are you offering such advice?and very poor advice at that?

Rich

Well Im sure that will make me popular in the Capper house hold! but this is a really important subject that I feel very strongly about.Not a personal thing ricjard and I hope you will see that.I feel a bit of a **** now as every one is entitled to an opinion its just that in this case I think its best to let the guy just look at the site and stick to the accepted "standard" stuff.

I am a entering a pike competition on Sunday and for a first time trying for pike normally sea fishing (mackerel bashing plus some experience fishing charter boats) this competition is going to be on a large lake from a boat, any handy hints?????

hi brownie points.

i have nver been pike fishing, but im getting into it this year through the anglers net members, i took the advice of experienced members, and have found someone to show me the ropes before i even think about going alone.

should you still decide to got it alone after the advice given, i think you will loose all those brownie points on anglers net.

best thing i could advise, is that you post, for help and some one to show you the ropes on here, there are many on here willling to help, and im sure you will find someone to fish with in your area.

then next year, you will have all the skills to go for the comps and enjoy them more no doubt.

well thats has been my method for this year

sean

woman want me, fish fear me

I have to say that I almost beat Zedhead to exactly the same advice but being at work, I wouldn't have had time to qualify it. If you're going to be sharing a boat with an experienced pike angler then go and take their lead but if the plan was to fish alone, be a big boy, suck it up and don't go.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Well Im sure that will make me popular in the Capper house hold! but this is a really important subject that I feel very strongly about.Not a personal thing ricjard and I hope you will see that.I feel a bit of a **** now as every one is entitled to an opinion its just that in this case I think its best to let the guy just look at the site and stick to the accepted "standard" stuff.

No harm done, Budgie like I say I don't really like pike fishing as I don't like treble hooks. However if this guy is going to go to the match which I'm sure he will i think its important he can get as much info that will aid safe handling and return of the pike regardless of whether we agree with the situation of how he is going on his first pike trip.

By the way on the subject of large singles is that really true about them being dangerous? If so that really is the final nail in the coffin in my occasional pike fishing.

Rich

Thanks for taking it this way Richard! many others would have got the right hump!

Please have a day piking with me and I will do my best to show you that not only can treble hooks be used safely without causing undue damage but IMHO a lot more safely than over large singles.Piking is a great branch of the sport and being able to do it in the safest way for the fish is the way ahead.

Not everyone will agree with me on this but I (having pike fished for over 35 years and having experimented with most hook types and configurations) have long been of the belief that the use of large singles is not good.Recently a lot of others in the world of piking have started to come around to this idea/found out for them selves. To save clogging up this thread I will start another to explain why allthough it has been discussed many times before.