Help with catching Pike

10 brownie points

i can only echo what has been said,go with an experienced pike angler that knows what they are doing,if you cant dont go.

i myself have taken one forum member out piking,and will again soon(come on andy!) and have arranged to take another out as well,as soon as he's back is better and he has some time to spare,aye matt!

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Brumagem Phil

Well you seem to be an experienced angler (albeit not for pike) so my advice is simply this..........

If you treat every carp caught as thought its about as tough as a heavy weight boxer and treat every caught pike likes its a newborn child you should do ok.

For the record, before I went piking alone I simply searched and read all the superb articles on AN (specially those written by Leon) and although I've met with problems, non so far have been unsurmountable (using a bit of common sense) even pike that have taken lures down into the gill rakers (seems a common thing due to the physiology of pike).

Whilst those who suggest expert guidance are probably 100% correct, life rarely revolves around 100% correctness and hence most anglers with half a brain should be able to fish for pike without too many problems............those without half a brain should of course stick to carp fishing using bite alarms whilst watching the footy on their portable TV in a bivvy.

:):):):):)

If of course putting the pike back is a concern - I have been wondering if it could be a cull?

I'd suggest sticking with lures rather than baits initially as they're more likely to be hooked in the mouth and you can get to the hooks easier. If you think they aren't taking lures right now think again.

Unhooking mat, short and long forceps, pliers, wire cutters, large landing net, long wire traces, strong line. That's the absolute minimum. But Budgie is talking a LOT of sense, can you stick near someone experienced?.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Unfortunately the Pike Anglers Club now endorses pike matches

No it doesn't.

The PAC has published a code of conduct in the hope that we can start addressing issues like people taking part in these things using inferior tackle, poor bite indication and without the correct tools to unhook and handle fish.

We're campaigning for those organising pike matches and those taking part to fish responsibly and try and minimise the damage they do.

The code also covers things like ensuring enough stewards are on hand and not retaining pike in keepnets.

What we do endorse is education and trying to minimise damage to pike stocks.

Unfortunately the Pike Anglers Club now endorses pike matches, nevertheless I'd follow Budgie's advice.

Peter,

the PAC do not endorse pike matches, but we do recognise the fact that they are just not going to go away because we dont like them.

what we have done is to issue a code of conduct that is being taken up by the ACA for the competition from the 2007 qualifying and final.

we will change absolutely nothing by standing on the outside shouting in, but at least by attempting to get changes implemented we are trying as best we can to get pike matches, to be as pike friendly as they can ever be.

to give you some idea as to how seriously the committee takes this they sent possibly the most anti pike match member of the committee, me, to do the negotiating, and to draw up the code.

we take it seriously, but as i have said already, you have to be involved to change things.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

You are splitting hairs, Mark. Endorsement by association.

What would you rather we did Peter..?

The only way we're ever going to change anything is by getting our message across to people.

The code's a good way to start.

If we can get people who take part in pike matches to use sensible tackle, good bite indication, prompt striking and have the right tools to hand to unhook fish safely, we'll surely have moved things on regardless of whether you agree with pike matches or not.

You are splitting hairs, Mark. Endorsement by association.

so what woulod you have us do peter?

let the pike matches carry on regardless with inadequate tackle, inadequate stewarding and dead pike?

or get involved and make all the above something which precludes or expels you from fishing in the match?

damned if you do................ :wallbash:

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Don't do it. The first time I caught a pike I was delighted, but then discovered, despite having forceps, I did not know how to deal with the fish properly.

Luckily a passer by was a pike fisherman and he helped unhook the fish and get it back into the water quickly. He then, quite rightly gave me a rollocking for walking into such fishing with my eyes closed.

After that I only went piking with my friend and ghillie, Greg, who I have learnt the fine art of piking from, and have since had the joy of ghillying for another friend.

Just don't risk it mate, if you come into difficulty, be it damage to the pike or yourself, do you think somebody you are competing against is going to help you?

I tell you now the answer is no!

Please do not bother. If you do, visit www.pacgb.co.uk as suggested previously - sorry Peter W, I know they endorse pike matches, but if somebody is going to do it, it is best with the best advice (aside from the ultimate best advice, which is don't go!).

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear