Help with catching Pike

10 brownie points

and damned if you don't. An outright condemnation might be a good start, but that is just my opinion.

yes peter, we condemn pike matches, the organisers dont care and the same old story continues.

i am no lover of pike matches peter, but i do respect the wishes of others that wish to do so, because i know plenty of very good pike anglers that for some reason want to fish matches.

personally they aint for me, but then its not so different to summer piking peter wqhich you regularly defend on here and in other places. my personal opinion is that it does a lot of harm, but yours isnt.

i respect the fact that you do it with no harm to the pike, but there are others that will, same as there are some that will do harm in pike matches and many that wont.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reality, Mark, is that this committee has done something that the previous 8 or more committees chose not to do. Surely that says something?

peter,

what the other committees chose to do is their perogative, but i doubt that they pleased everyone all of the time, its just not possible.

i will ask you again as you chose to avoid tyhe question, how is the issue of pike matches any more or less contentious than that of summer piking?

or would it just be a case of you participate in summer piking, but not pike matches?

Mark Barrett

The reality, Mark, is that this committee has done something that the previous 8 or more committees chose not to do. Surely that says something?

And that Peter is one of the main reasons Ive burried the hatchet and rejoined! I too am against Pike matchs.Im not that convinced that the new stance taken by the PAC will prove to be the best way.I say that because in the early days of the ACA/AT British Pike Champs I ran several matches thinking that it would be a good way to pass on good handling/unhooking/fishing practices.I stopped as the sights I saw at the finals each year made me think my efforts were pointless.

However who is to say that if more people did try this "educate from within" tactic it wouldnt work? At least this comitee have decided to try a different aproach rather than just taking the easy "please all" stance of sitting on the fence?

I would rather see no pike matchs full stop no matter how well they were fished for/ handled purely as they just dont need this extra fishing pressure but like Mark says people are going to do it regardless so the PAC may as well carry out a "damage limitation" style excersise.

I do however share your concerns that the PAC's involvement could be seen as "endorsement" and this increase the number of matchs! time will tell.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

And that Peter is one of the main reasons Ive burried the hatchet and rejoined! I too am against Pike matchs.Im not that convinced that the new stance taken by the PAC will prove to be the best way.I say that because in the early days of the ACA/AT British Pike Champs I ran several matches thinking that it would be a good way to pass on good handling/unhooking/fishing practices.I stopped as the sights I saw at the finals each year made me think my efforts were pointless.

However who is to say that if more people did try this "educate from within" tactic it wouldnt work? At least this comitee have decided to try a different aproach rather than just taking the easy "please all" stance of sitting on the fence?

I would rather see no pike matchs full stop no matter how well they were fished for/ handled purely as they just dont need this extra fishing pressure but like Mark says people are going to do it regardless so the PAC may as well carry out a "damage limitation" style excersise.

I do however share your concerns that the PAC's involvement could be seen as "endorsement" and this increase the number of matchs! time will tell.

exactly budgie.

it may prove to be a mistake, but equally it may not, but at least we are trying. if it proves to be a non starter then we will severe all ties, tenuous that they are, and make no secret of the fact as to why we have done so.

Mark Barrett

exactly budgie.

it may prove to be a mistake, but equally it may not, but at least we are trying. if it proves to be a non starter then we will severe all ties, tenuous that they are, and make no secret of the fact as to why we have done so.

Surely the key lies in engaging with the people who take part in these things and those who organise them.

The code is a step forward because it covers tackle (minimum line strength, wire trace etc...), bite indication, prompt striking and making sure those entering have the basic tools needed to unhook fish.

It also covers stewarding and states pike should not be retained in keepnets.

Isn't this a step forward, if we can get match organisers to adopt it..?

We can argue till the cows come home on this one, and will still fail to agree.

I do agree that the Marie Curey (spelling?) organisation is an incredible outfit, but that a PAC region should have organised matches for them was a retrograde step in pike conservation. From organising a very well intended charity match at a local level the PAC is now linked to a national event. The intention might be excellent but, in my opinion, it is three progressive steps forward, and nine retrograde, and potentially damaging steps backwards. There can only be one message coming out of this, that the PAC now support pike matches, even if that was not the intention.

Time will tell, but it is a decision that PAC might probably live to regret.

Pike matches don't tend to be organised for the good of the pike, more so that the organisers can feel good about themselves, and many use the term 'charity' to justify it all.

Edited by Peter Waller

We can argue till the cows come home on this one, and will still fail to agree.

I do agree that the Marie Curey (spelling?) organisation is an incredible outfit, but that a PAC region should have organised matches for them was a retrograde step in pike conservation. From organising a very well intended charity match at a local level the PAC is now linked to a national event. The intention might be excellent but, in my opinion, it is three progressive steps forward, and nine retrograde, and potentially damaging steps backwards. There can only be one message coming out of this, that the PAC now support pike matches, even if that was not the intention.

Time will tell, but it is a decision that PAC might probably live to regret.

Pike matches don't tend to be organised for the good of the pike, more so that the organisers can feel good about themselves, and many use the term 'charity' to justify it all.

peter you have brought the marie cdurie up on here before, and were told then that the PAC region does not organise it at all.

their only involvement is to steward the event to make sure as much as is possible that no harm comes to the fish.

THAT IS NOT ORGANISING THE EVENT OR ENDORSING IT, BUT LOOKING AFTER THE QUARRY, THE FUNDAMENTAL ETHOS OF THE CLUB.

why shout? because peter you are doing your usual stubborn headed arghument about something that YOU see as black and white, yet when the question is something that you see as acceptable you completely choose to avoid the issue.

if the PAC condems pike matches, it alienates a large number of members, if it does the same with summer piking the same would happen. we have to accept that what one man, you, finds acceptable- summer piking, another, me, does not.

but i dont call for the PAC to condem summer piking, because i know, as you do Peter, that there are many that do it responsibly, the same applies to pike matches.

it doesnt matter what the PAC says, the pike match horse has bolted, all we as a club can do is to try and get it back to the barn safely.

Mark Barrett

i will ask you again as you chose to avoid tyhe question, how is the issue of pike matches any more or less contentious than that of summer piking?

or would it just be a case of you participate in summer piking, but not pike matches?

:clap: I think Peter will need a good spin doctor to consult before answering that one!