Luce Bay Advice

S.Brown

Hi

I will be coming up to Luce Bay in the summer and thourght I would try my hand at the Tope fishing that is ment to be good. Basicaly what I am looking for is any advice. I will be fishing from my boat that will be based at Port William so any GPS marks when to fish (best tides) anything that you think will help.

Thanks alot.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya, Welcome to AN....I hope you find it very helpful.

To be honest, you wont get any GPS numbers on just one posting, as there has been Longliners working in Luce Bay in the past. but it might help to have a look at Ian Burrets site. He's the man in the know for Luce Bay.

Go to http://www.seafishingscotland.co.uk/ a great and very informative site.

Have fun, and when you do get there,let me know, as I will be down at some point over the summer with my own boat. Probobly still trying to catch my first Tope..... :D:D

Edited by Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Luce bay is good for tope my friend but as far as marks go you will blank !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plan B book one of Ian Burretts boats :) And mark the spot :headhurt:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Here is a sober reply :blink: check out Ian Burretts site "onyermarks". He is a top notch skipper and he will get you tope if they are there. Bear in mind tope are nomadic and Ian reads their minds.

Also Luce Bay is a "massive" piece of water and it is no good fishing blind.

Ian came up with the goods for me :) check this out,caught on Ians boat this summer in Luce Bay

DSC01794.jpg

Go for it :fishing:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Best to use crayon on the deck, as chalk will wash off. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I usually put an X on the side of the boat....then I know where to go back to !!!!! :D:D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

I usually put an X on the side of the boat....then I know where to go back to !!!!! :D:D

Norrie? There may be folk reading this; that think you`re joking. :help::help:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Norrie? There may be folk reading this; that think you`re joking. :help::help:

fished Luce Bay many times in my own boat. had some cracking days wishing just south of the Scares (rightly named) at the head of Luce Bay best tope 59lb male, not a very good fight, found tope around 30-35lb gave the best scrap. Some very big blonde Rays have also come from this area, never had the good fortune to land one though, but had some decent thronbacks. My mate fishing quite often in the shallows at the top of Luce bay and has had some cracking sport, he has even fished in that shallow water he has seen the tope picking the baits up. I also know that good catches of tope run up and down up to a mile off Port William and down past Monrieth Bay. i was told by a charter skipper over their that early in the year they come in round Burrow Head and work their way round and run down past Port Patrick by Sept Oct Nov, when some big tope can be taken. The same skipper has had verified tope to 100lb, but returned them. The mid channel marker Bouy is also a good shot for Tope, there is a ledge that runs south to east and they run along there, thats if you can find, I no longer have the gps settings. The best way I have found is just to drift with a whole mackerel as bait, a rubby dubby bag sometimes works. Once you find a pack you will have some graet sport, luckilly i have always managed to get a few, except in the year they where doing siesmic testing in the bay, the shock waves stopped them coming in the Bay and you had to travel outside to catch anything. And they are certainly not there in the numbers they used to be. As has already been mentioned Ian Burrett is the man up there for any type of fish, he ceratainly knows where they will be and when.

fished Luce Bay many times in my own boat. had some cracking days wishing just south of the Scares (rightly named) at the head of Luce Bay best tope 59lb male, not a very good fight, found tope around 30-35lb gave the best scrap. Some very big blonde Rays have also come from this area, never had the good fortune to land one though, but had some decent thronbacks. My mate fishing quite often in the shallows at the top of Luce bay and has had some cracking sport, he has even fished in that shallow water he has seen the tope picking the baits up. I also know that good catches of tope run up and down up to a mile off Port William and down past Monrieth Bay. i was told by a charter skipper over their that early in the year they come in round Burrow Head and work their way round and run down past Port Patrick by Sept Oct Nov, when some big tope can be taken. The same skipper has had verified tope to 100lb, but returned them. The mid channel marker Bouy is also a good shot for Tope, there is a ledge that runs south to east and they run along there, thats if you can find, I no longer have the gps settings. The best way I have found is just to drift with a whole mackerel as bait, a rubby dubby bag sometimes works. Once you find a pack you will have some graet sport, luckilly i have always managed to get a few, except in the year they where doing siesmic testing in the bay, the shock waves stopped them coming in the Bay and you had to travel outside to catch anything. And they are certainly not there in the numbers they used to be. As has already been mentioned Ian Burrett is the man up there for any type of fish, he ceratainly knows where they will be and when.