Simon and Mark go Piking.....

Mark Crame

Glad you made it home ok Simon. A pity we didn't have time for the beer ourselves. Still, I got dinner cooked on time, the house clean and tidy, the kids bathed and fetched...

Regarding the drop-ofs and holes. They were in a hole during the week - but the water was higher - and I got no runs at all there yesterday. Perhaps the tide affects that? Possible, but a guess. I do tend to fish the margins in the winter though as the warmer water is something the pike enjoy - the deeper water in the summer is without doubt the way to go though. Sound like an excuse to return when it's warmer?!

My wife also tells me that size doesn't matter...but I confess she beams as well when she gets one 'in the net'.

Simon, it was a pleasure, truly. I even got tempted with a fly rod this morning at the car boot sale. Sadly I didn't have enough on me so I'll leave that until another day. Your one on the fly wasn't that small though, not bait sized like most of mine - and to be fair your rods aren't as hefty as mine, so don't do it down - you got a good fight from it for sure, and a few swirls as well.

Oh, and if anyone else happens to be passing the Broads, then give me a shout and if i'm free bring your yak and I'll give you some company.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cracking report Mark. really enjoyed the reading and the pics.

Simon that is a nice fish whatever the weight may be, good catch :thumbs:

GB

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Another great report Mark, and a really nice Pike Simon (he was so excited he phoned me on his way home :) ) should have been on the fly though, that dark art of lure fishing is monkey business (been stocking up for Llangorse).

Have been trying to get the family up to the Broads for the last two years, we will do it and when we do I'll give you a call if that's all right.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Yup. No problem at all. My pleasure. he said you'd be gutted you weren't there!

Have made some enquiries about accomodation for a post New Year meet if Llangorse goes well and people want to try here. About £25 a head (if we can get 8 people) for the weekend (Fri/Sat/Sun) and the place backs onto the broad itself, which is free fishing. Am thinking, weather dependant, of one day on the broad after pike and one on the sea after cod. It connects to both the river and the sea so is ideal.

Lures. Well, it's Rapala Magnums that I had everything on, and Simon had his on a Super Shad Rap. They're trolling lures - the magnums cast for **** and I have never had a take on them from the bank.

I am gutted, for some reason I thought you were up north not the Broads, think I'm going a little soft in the head.

Hope to give the Pike a go before Llangorse, I know somebody that wants to try the Caper out on a River, like you he's a good pike fisherman, so hopefully we will get some sport.

Have a pair of magnums and a couple of jointed, plus various others all designed to catch the fisherman :)

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

I can paddle on a broad or a river from the same launch point, or both one after the other. Haven't fished the river this end, apart from a troll for 300 metres up from the broad but it looks more pedunkle than the local caravan site (very snaggy though, better as a bait venue I suspect). I can head by car up to the other end as well in half an hour to launch, but there is still a bit of weed about and you seem to have to clear the hooks too often. Spoilt for choice here really, I'm hoping I can nab some cod and bass with as much success.