Wildlife

Ken L

I might be something as simple as a dragonfly nymph crawling from the water to hatch or maybe you were fishing in the middle of a red deer rut. We all see wildlife when fishing so what has impressed you most ?

I'll write up a couple that left me slack jawed when I get back from work tonight.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whilst fly fishing on Hanningfield a few years ago I saw a sparrowhawk being harrassed by crows as it flew over us. Eventually the SH had enough of them and dropped what it was carrying so it could speed away. I rolled my flies out and snagged what it had dropped. It was a blackbird which had been completely plucked, it looked like a classic cartoon chicken!

Why do crows mob herons?

Hobbies taking swifts are a pretty cool sight too.

Edited by Tim Kelly

Tim

I was sitting quietly fishing alone on a small pond in the grounds of a local National Trust property a couple of weeks ago, when what I can only describe as a stretch hamster appeared from a hole in the bank. It proceeded to climb over my feet then climbed into my groundbait bowl and help itself to lunch. It then sat on the edge of the peg and began to clean itself before wandering off back to its hole.

It was, of course, a weasel, but I had to check my wildlife book when I got home, just to be sure, as I'd never seen one in the wild before. I was completely frozen to the spot, not wanting to scare it off.

Made a good day's fishing even more memorable.

Janet

I was sitting quietly fishing alone on a small pond in the grounds of a local National Trust property a couple of weeks ago, when what I can only describe as a stretch hamster appeared from a hole in the bank. It proceeded to climb over my feet then climbed into my groundbait bowl and help itself to lunch. It then sat on the edge of the peg and began to clean itself before wandering off back to its hole.

It was, of course, a weasel, but I had to check my wildlife book when I got home, just to be sure, as I'd never seen one in the wild before. I was completely frozen to the spot, not wanting to scare it off.

Made a good day's fishing even more memorable.

Janet

Sea fishing in Mevagissey, Cornwall last week, and a seal popped its head up to say hello. It disappeared underneath the water, popped up at the other end of the jetty with a pollack in its mouth that it waggled about, as if to show us this is how to fish, and swallowed it down.

Picture to follow when I remember to bring digital camera in to work.

Cheers,

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

So many things! It's a big part of the pleasure of fishing for me. Some of the most memorable encounters include:

- watching a red squirrel drink from a pool in a highland stream while trout fishing in Scotland (the only one I've ever seen)

- seeing my first otter swim along the margin of a river in Norfolk (river Wissey)

- watching a fallow deer drinking from a pool in the river Evenlode in Oxfordshire. I was standing just upstream on a little footbridge and it didn't see me at all.

- feeding tutti fruity boilies and sweetcorn to two very friendly field mice at Frensham Great Pond

- quietly fishing an overgrown stretch of the river Wey in Surrey and seeing the long grass shake as an unknown creature made its way towards me...it was a stoat and it got all the way to my feet before it saw me, froze and darted off at 100mph

I always love to see barn owls patrolling around dusk, and I never get bored of seeing kingfishers - although I've never seen one catch a fish. I'd really love to see that. I love snakes too, and in summer always have a look around for grass snakes and adders. Oh, and frogs too :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

A pair of otters- playing and cavorting and chattering along the Dorset Stour three weeks ago.

A marten, which brazenly walked straight up to me whist fishing on the beautiful River Lot in south-west France in September. Supremely confident- probably due to the low population density in the region, and rarity of anglers.

A mole, which poked its head out of the ground right next to my bait-box as I was reaching for a maggot, by Sherbourne Lake. A silly cock pheasant which took maggots from the palm of my hand on the same morning.

Numerous water voles along the Frome near Wareham.

Mink, on the Medway near Maidstone, sadly. Recently released from captivity, no doubt.

Oh, and a few rather splendid barbel.

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

Two kingfishers, perched on my rod tip at the same time, unbeleivable.

Doesn't really count but scared the crap out of me when a lad was bivvied up with his missus and the wife turned up, sounded like the banshee was on the lake............ ???

Munjacks, in Oxford.

A Sheep with a smokers cough.

Swimming cows. Cows falling in.

Morehen Murder !!( On jumped on the others back and held its head under till it drowned!!)

Yetti (oh no that was for another thread)

watching a grebe swimming underwater, about as manouvrable as a seal underwater, chasing fish at speed.

this one time when i was fishing at a small river, these two swans came into land on the river, they didnt see us, and were going too fast, it looked like they were putting their airbrakes on, and started backwards flying to slow them down, they made a hell of a racket, and it did look like they were going to land on us fishing. but they managed to control their landing and splashed down a few feet away from us.

and a badger running head first at speed into a metal gate, at night, i could just make it out, but you could hear the clattering sound from 100 yards away.