Handling pike

The Flying Tench

I thought I'd got the knack of handling pike, but I caught a jack of 4-5lbs yesterday, and found it hard to get my finger into the gill to lift its head. I guess it would have been easier if it had been a bit bigger, but I was wary of hurting/damaging the gill filaments. I sorted it OK, but I wasn't as quick as I might have been. 2 questions:

1) how fragile are the gill filaments? Is it OK to rub against them with a glove?

2) currently I use a gardening glove, but I think I need to change this to something that will slide in more easily. What do others use?

john clarke

I thought I'd got the knack of handling pike, but I caught a jack of 4-5lbs yesterday, and found it hard to get my finger into the gill to lift its head. I guess it would have been easier if it had been a bit bigger, but I was wary of hurting/damaging the gill filaments. I sorted it OK, but I wasn't as quick as I might have been. 2 questions:

1) how fragile are the gill filaments? Is it OK to rub against them with a glove?

2) currently I use a gardening glove, but I think I need to change this to something that will slide in more easily. What do others use?

I can't get on with a glove at all. I like to be able to feel what I am gripping.

Take a deep breath and try without, the bleeding stops eventually :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

The trick is to slide your fingers inside the gill with the pads of your finger tip in constant contact with the inside of the gill cover (Operculum).

You will still get raker rash on occasion and good cuts once in a while but it keeps your fingers well away fron the delecate gills.

I can't get on with gloves either although I hear good things about the Lindy Glove.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

what is raker rash ?.

lines of tiny cuts caused by contact with the tooth like surfaces on the pikes gill rakers. They are sharper than any scalpel and when the cut you up , you will bleed for a while.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

These will do precisely what you are looking for:

http://chicoslures.blogspot.com/

I've got a Lindy too, but I haven't used it since getting the musky gloves. IMO they are more fish friendly than bare fingers because the material dosen't snag as much as human skin. :thumbs:

These will do precisely what you are looking for:

http://chicoslures.blogspot.com/

I've got a Lindy too, but I haven't used it since getting the musky gloves. IMO they are more fish friendly than bare fingers because the material dosen't snag as much as human skin. :thumbs:

Hell, news of me travels fast!! Hardly unbiased but they are the only glove I'd ever consider. :)

with bigger pike,ie doubles and bigger you can get all four fingers in easily and safely,with jacks i use two fingers-index and middle or just index.

i have used lindy gloves,but i also use chico's musky gloves,teh best glove i have used by far,still retains alot of feel but saves you getting cuts and prevents infections.

-get ya self a pair you wont regret it.

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

with bigger pike,ie doubles and bigger you can get all four fingers in easily and safely,with jacks i use two fingers-index and middle or just index.

i have used lindy gloves,but i also use chico's musky gloves,teh best glove i have used by far,still retains alot of feel but saves you getting cuts and prevents infections.

-get ya self a pair you wont regret it.

thanks for that Ratty. :rolleyes: