expensive fishing gear

carphead07

I doubt many carp anglers have ever fished beyond 50 yards, 70 at a push.

I have fished at over 250 yards on occasion and using a cheapish 7ft Ugly Stik.

That said, I have to confess I used my boat. Motored to the spot, dropped the rig in the water, and motored slowly back to shore. Bless the large Abu multipliers and PowerPro line.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have fished at over 250 yards on occasion and using a cheapish 7ft Ugly Stik.

That said, I have to confess I used my boat. Motored to the spot, dropped the rig in the water, and motored slowly back to shore. Bless the large Abu multipliers and PowerPro line.

LOL Must be fun with a rod that size at that distance. Nearest experience I've had to that is tarpon fishing when on a hotel balcony. Fished at 10 yards with a small telescopic rod, but by the time you hit the run, they were a considerable distance further out!!!!!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

The expensive gear is not always the better gear, so do your homework before parting with cash.

In carp fishing, I'd say that on the whole, you don't need the expensive gear. Having a quality set up is nice when playing a fish, but I don't know if it would help you to actually hook it in the first place. If you've never had expensive gear, you certainly won't miss it.

I grew up doing a lot of sea fishing on very tight budgets and had appalling tackle for years, but still enjoyed it. Beach fishing is one area of fishing where I'd say a good rod and reel does make one hell of a difference, but I only know that now because I've tried nice stuff. I still enjoyed it with the cheap stuff. Despite many carp articles telling you how they hooked into a 40 at 150 yards +, I doubt many carp anglers have ever fished beyond 50 yards, 70 at a push.

This past weekend I was fishing at 550 yards, but I would suspect that this more the exception than the rule. We were talking about tackle this weekend and too many anglers look what a "sponsered angler"is using and because they see them catching fish think it is the tackle, they forget that the person behind the tackle is what does the trick, bad tackle but a good hook and a great presentation will do wonders.

Roger

I have read all the posts, and i am also a novice carp angler, someone mentioned about the casting distance, would this not be down to the test curve of a rod, and not down to the price of it. just wondering

sean

woman want me, fish fear me

correct basically all were sayin is the price of the rod does not matter as long as its a rod

So if i have a 2.75 test curve rod, £30.00, that will cast the same as a 2.75 test curve rod of £200.00 lets say

sean

woman want me, fish fear me

Guest Josh Iddon
correct basically all were sayin is the price of the rod does not matter as long as its a rod

Errrr basically there not though, Of course MOST of the time a more expensive rod will be better. (I dont own any truly expensive tackle) JMO

Josh

So if i have a 2.75 test curve rod, £30.00, that will cast the same as a 2.75 test curve rod of £200.00 lets say

sean

Sean,

Casting is more technic than anything else a test curve is a test curve, a cheaper rod will more than likely loose some of its properties over time. Expensive is more the quantie that the rod carries like maybe lifetime, it will also have better rings on and reel seat.

Roger

Sean,

Casting is more technic than anything else a test curve is a test curve, a cheaper rod will more than likely loose some of its properties over time. Expensive is more the quantie that the rod carries like maybe lifetime, it will also have better rings on and reel seat.

Roger

A test curve will give you the indication of what size lead you can cast, it is no good trying to cast a 6 oz lead on a 2lb test rod, a 3 or maybe 4oz will be much more suited to the rod.

What makes rod more expensive will be the blank, then the rings, reel seat, handle material. the glase used the ring binding material, most of all who made it. The bigger the name the more you will pay.

Not sure I should say this but take a shimano hyperlube, it is one of the most forgiving rods I have ever used. I have some rods custom made using a purglass blank, not the easiest of rods to use when landing and fish. Both have the same test curve.

I was looking at rods yesterday, I got hold of a nice rod it did not cost me a arm and a leg I can tell you my casting distance has not sufered one bit, yes the lead size will have to get lighter.

Roger