Lead Speed

Marginmaster

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish you could have helped me with my A-level physics coursework, id be top of the class :D

Strange as it may seem, there is a bit more to building a rod than sticking a few guides on :rolleyes:

Then again I failed A level maths. :blink::blink:

Ah, people love "doing sums" don't they? Unfortunately the trajectories of both golf balls and fishing weights are well beyond the scope of this kind of "back of an envelope" arithmetic. However, without resort to any maths, we can say by simple observation that to travel equal distances, a fishing lead MUST be travelling faster than a golf ball. This is because a golf ball has lift. This is why they have dimples, to exaggerate the effect caused by the backspin imparted by the club head. The lift enables the ball to travel further for a given speed than it would due to simple projectile mechanics. The fishing lead on the other hand has drag, due to the line and the reel, so the opposite applies (crack off and you'll see just how far it would fly without the drag). Taken together these two facts suggest that, at least in the early part of the flight, the fishing lead is travelling much faster than the golf ball.

Ah, people love "doing sums" don't they? Unfortunately the trajectories of both golf balls and fishing weights are well beyond the scope of this kind of "back of an envelope" arithmetic. However, without resort to any maths, we can say by simple observation that to travel equal distances, a fishing lead MUST be travelling faster than a golf ball. This is because a golf ball has lift. This is why they have dimples, to exaggerate the effect caused by the backspin imparted by the club head. The lift enables the ball to travel further for a given speed than it would due to simple projectile mechanics. The fishing lead on the other hand has drag, due to the line and the reel, so the opposite applies (crack off and you'll see just how far it would fly without the drag). Taken together these two facts suggest that, at least in the early part of the flight, the fishing lead is travelling much faster than the golf ball.

Maths isn't my forte ( :headhurt: ) but surely this is only true if both the lead and the golf ball begin at the same speed?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Without the line and drag of the reel the lead would really fly!!

I wonder if we can devise a way of launching a 5oz lead as above??

Any ideas anyone?

Colin

Colin, suppose if you were brave (or daft) enough you could load up a tournament caster with absloute minimum shock leader, let hurtle with it and the instant the shock leader left the rod, thumb the spool on say a 12 test line, reckon that lead would then beat the casting records by a good 50 - 100mtrs. :)

Maths isn't my forte ( :headhurt: ) but surely this is only true if both the lead and the golf ball begin at the same speed?

No. A "projectile" is something thrown or fired with an initial velocity but no means of extra propulsion, so it's a cannonball rather than a missile. For any given starting speed, the maximum range a projectile can achieve is when it starts off at an angle of 45 degrees to the ground. Golf balls clearly don't do this (well maybe some do when I hit them!). A golf ball starts off with a much lower trajectory but because it has "lift" it doesn't fall to ground the way a normal projectile would. Instead it starts to climb (because it is spinning backwards), only getting onto what might called a proper parabolic trajectory when it's already travelled a fair distance. This way it travels much further for a given starting speed than a smooth projectile fired at the same speed at 45 degrees would. A fishing lead hasn't got lift so it initially follows the parabolic trajectory more closely. As it flies the drag increases due to the increasing weight of line, wind resistance and reel effects, so the parabola is shortened, especially on the way back down. So for both to reach the same distance, the fishing lead has to start off faster.

It would take a computer to work out, but it might turn out that since thay both follow such different trajectories, the only place they could meet is on the ground!

No. A "projectile" is something thrown or fired with an initial velocity but no means of extra propulsion, so it's a cannonball rather than a missile. For any given starting speed, the maximum range a projectile can achieve is when it starts off at an angle of 45 degrees to the ground. Golf balls clearly don't do this (well maybe some do when I hit them!). A golf ball starts off with a much lower trajectory but because it has "lift" it doesn't fall to ground the way a normal projectile would. Instead it starts to climb (because it is spinning backwards), only getting onto what might called a proper parabolic trajectory when it's already travelled a fair distance. This way it travels much further for a given starting speed than a smooth projectile fired at the same speed at 45 degrees would. A fishing lead hasn't got lift so it initially follows the parabolic trajectory more closely. As it flies the drag increases due to the increasing weight of line, wind resistance and reel effects, so the parabola is shortened, especially on the way back down. So for both to reach the same distance, the fishing lead has to start off faster.

It would take a computer to work out, but it might turn out that since thay both follow such different trajectories, the only place they could meet is on the ground!

I'll take your word for that Colin! It does makes sense (in as much as everything and nothing makes sense to me where maths or physics are involved :D )

Maybe the next carping craze will be golf-ball style leads and realtree drivers :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music