PC will not bot up ?

pestguard1

My daughters PC will not boot up .....................ie:- when it is switched on .......it powers up ok fans kick in and work .........then nothing happens ............no screen comes on ..........hard drive does not make any noises............no bios beeps ..............any ideas please.

I put her spare 40g hard drive in (her old one ) and that does not work either.

As My daughter is at collage , she need her PC for her exams urgently ..........so any help would be apreciated.

I managed to get my daughters PC up and running ........I got to the blue bios screen saying that I had removed or replaced CPU and that pc was running at a slower speed ...........................then pc screen went off , and a fast clicking sound was comming from inside...........now it`s back to not booting up again.

I need some help here please

Brian

(avatar is a 171lb common skate )

caught onboard "Catchalot" with Davy Holt

My daughters PC will not boot up .....................ie:- when it is switched on .......it powers up ok fans kick in and work .........then nothing happens ............no screen comes on ..........hard drive does not make any noises............no bios beeps ..............any ideas please.

As My daughter is at collage , she need her PC for her exams urgently ..........so any help would be apreciated.

I managed to get my daughters PC up and running ........I got to the blue bios screen saying that I had removed or replaced CPU and that pc was running at a slower speed ...........................then pc screen went off , and a fast clicking sound was comming from inside...........now it`s back to not booting up again.

Sounds to me like either the CPU has fried or possible Mother board gone down?? If you are getting no beeps? I only had this once myself and it was the socket actually on the motherboard which had fried!!

Only solution (For me) was to get a new PC!! I actually do know someone who is about to upgrade....... Not sure if he is selling or what the old system and not sure of spec??

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

How about fitting the hard drive that is in your daughters pc as a slave in the one you've posted on? At least she will have access to her work while you look for a new pc. Either way it's not a problem, just a chance to excel. ;)

With something as terminal as this, if you haven't even got the gear needed to make a few simple tests yourself, you face the choice of forking out for a technician or buying a new system. If you haven't looked for a while you might be surprised what you can buy for your money now. We just got some new ones at work from Dell that are more than capable for about £240 + VAT (the flat screen monitors they come with used to cost that on their own). The only thing they aren't up to is serious gaming because you can't fit a graphics card due to the small form factor (but these are supposed to be for work!).

Thanks for all replies..................I have gone through user manual for my daughters motherboard and still it will not boot up ....................I have reset all jumpers....removed onboard battery,removed and re instaled memory sticks,tested power supply unit,..........(working ok ,fans work).....but hard drive does not spin or make any sort of noise)

not even a bios beep....................so I have ordered a new board and cpu just in case .

Brian

Thanks for all replies..................I have gone through user manual for my daughters motherboard and still it will not boot up ....................I have reset all jumpers....removed onboard battery,removed and re instaled memory sticks,tested power supply unit,..........(working ok ,fans work).....but hard drive does not spin or make any sort of noise)

not even a bios beep....................so I have ordered a new board and cpu just in case .

Sounds sensible does that!! And hope your daughter appreciates you!! Though suspect she does or you wouldn't be doing it :)

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

check the fan1 switch on the mobo some pc's wont boot unless there is a fan plugged into this switch or pin, try removing the plug from the fan 1 switch and re-fitting it that might work.

another thing to try is to remove all the pci cards except the graphics card if applicable and try booting then, also try booting with no hard drive just to see if you get the mobo to beep,

you will get a post screen on your monitor with no hd connected, see how you get on, if it post's then put the hd back and see what the post is telling you as regards to the hd,

you might be better off getting an old hd and booting from your windows cdrom and then as mentioned put the other hd back in as a slave dive to see if you can recover any data.

good luck.

ps did you try booting with no ram in the pc and did you get any beeps then,

the beeps are a code to tell you what is wrong with the system, you get different coded beeps.

write these down and check your mobo manufacturers website for beep codes.

pps the fast clicking sound is from the hard drive, that isn't a good sign, remove the hard drive and then boot the computer and see what happens, i bet you get a post screen, if this is the case get an old hard drive and bung xp on and and then try as i mentioned to recover your data from the bad hd.

also go into the bios and just monitor the temp of the cpu this will tell you if there is a problem with the cpu.

if you battery is running low this will cause the bios to reset its self to default settings and that maybe why you see the bios setting change and the report of the slower speed of the cpu.

Edited by kempo

anyone got any of of these punches please
Broadband problems, click here
my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

It happened to me, and I think her hard drive has died. Nothing for it really but to get her a new PC. But as some of the other posters have said, if you link up her old hard drive either to your PC or to her new one, you will be able to transfer any valuable files.

I'd try a PSU first, fans running have very little to do with the +12v & +5v rails (the main fan is normaly 240Vac on the power in)

And if you need data off the drive get a USB - IDE/Sata etc lead from ebay, I paid £3.00 for one from HK including postage - great for backing up drives or running virus checks 'out of the machine'.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Many thanks for everyone`s help and advice ....................I have ordered my daughter another board and CPU.

Brian