Snails

steve17

An easy question perhaps, does anyone know what brings all the snails out in force all around my fishtank? Occasionally for no known reason to me we have hundreds all up the sides, looking at them now its mad.

steve.

An easy question perhaps, does anyone know what brings all the snails out in force all around my fishtank? Occasionally for no known reason to me we have hundreds all up the sides, looking at them now its mad.

Have you recently put any new plants in? That's where they usually come from, and they can be quite destructive in numbers.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I would go along with the plants. I always wash new plants before I put them in the tank but still get the odd outbreak afterwards.

If you want to get rid of the snails I have found that the best and safest way is to treat the tank with Discus wormer from Plymouth Discus. It is an entirely natural product that actually does the fish some good by ridding them of internal parasites as well as killing the snails. It might be better to do a couple of extra water changes a week or so after treatment though to get rid of the remains of any dead snails not eaten by the fish.

Guest Ferret1959

If you are looking at getting rid of your snails then clown loach are the chappies, they love them and if you listen carefully you can hear them sucking the snails from thier shells. :)

What snails are they as I'm looking for some fancy snails for my tanks.

I have tiger snails at the mo, did have a massive golden apple snail but he/she just rolled over one day and was there dead with his/her foot in the air. :(

We only have artificial weed in at the moment, the snails have been in for years just sumtimes they come out in numbers and others they just seem to hide away. Were currently running the tank down to start a fresh sometime next year, the snails are just small cone shaped things in silvers and golds

steve.

If you are looking at getting rid of your snails then clown loach are the chappies

Agreed. We had an infestation of snails, impossible numbers of them, all over the glass. Couple of clown loach ate the lot within a week or two. Spoilt my Amazonian theme, but I like clown loach, so I can live with it.

Guest Ferret1959
Agreed. We had an infestation of snails, impossible numbers of them, all over the glass. Couple of clown loach ate the lot within a week or two. Spoilt my Amazonian theme, but I like clown loach, so I can live with it.

I've just bought two Golden Apple snails and they are going in to my tank that has two medium sized clowns, just hoping the snails are to big for the clowns to eat. :)