Perfect Fishing TV Programme

AndyTV

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are doing some research for a new fishing programme and would love to hear your comments and suggestions about what makes a great fishing programme, and what doesn't!

Thanks

Andy

Andy,

to me you need to have at least one proper angler as part of the presenting team, and personally i think that two presenters are better than one, because it takes a very special personality to carry a programme on their own.

i think the fun aspect is missing too. we dont want the out takes done seperately, show the cock ups and the triumphs, we all know they happen.

its what we are aiming for in my series on onlinefishing.tv :)

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

The ones they have abroad with girls in bikinis are quite nice.

Not sure they'd make it onto the Beeb, though :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I'm still hoping this makes it onto the telly! Pretty much my idea of a perfect fishing programme...

C.

DON'T

Just make sure that Robson Green isn't allowed anywhere near it, together with anybody associated with that disastrous programme.

Don't use a presenter who deals purely in the mechanics of fishing, spending ten minutes on explaining how to shot a waggler, or other such tediousness.

DO

Use a presenter who understands what it is that compels people to go fishing and who understands the interaction with nature and the environment.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Have some female anglers and children because we fish as well but you seldom see them mentioned on fsihing programmes.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

I thought the Fishing Race was a cracking programme. One celeb and one angler in a team trying to catch as many species in a given time. Not too serious but its the type of thing we do on holiday, have a match to see who catches the most species (this year ragged by a stray gudgeon when my mate dropped his line in the water when he was filling his tosspot) Who heard of targeting gudgeon in Ireland!

Edited by Ferg

I found the Great Rod Race and Record Breaking Fish by Matt Hayes and Mick Brown to be very entertaining because of the challenge, the good partnership that the two presenters had and because it showed the highs and lows of fishing. They had some crap days and some very good days.

Also there were some handy hints and tips for each species but it didnt go into too much detail which non-anglers would find boring.

The problem is that it has to appeal to a much larger audience than just anglers because if a show is to be aired its got to bring in the viewing figures that justify its existence. This is why the beeb doesnt do them anymore, they're too concerned with beating ITV with figures, targets, etc rather than offering the mix of quality non-biased programming thats in their charter. :angry:

I just love the Passion for Angling and Caught in Time shows and cant wait for the Catching the Impossible series. While I couldnt give a monkeys if it didnt air on a free to air channel because I will be the first to buy it on DVD it doesnt encourage future producers to get involved if there's no takers. But does this matter now if thier DVD & book sales are so good?

I think a mix of showing the natural and peacefull aspects of fishing, the good we can do to the environment AND the bad that some do, some education and the excitement of catching fish with good presenters who dont woop and yee-haw like Mr Green will do it for me.

Who are 'We'?

That's the first thing that crossed my mind Jon.

AndyTV? (you're not related to that kid on 'Willy Wonker's chocolate factory' are you? I think his name was Mike ;) ).

I don't think you can make the "perfect" angling programme, as demonstrated by the comments on here about the various programmes over the years.

Some want instructional, some want 'big named celebrity', some want loads of fish, some want the tranquility and natural side of angling to come through.

I personally would want a programme that is about the angling. Where the personality of the 'angler/presenter', doesn't take 'main stage', and over shadow the rest. I don't want some 'celebrity' whooping and hollering at everything, or name dropping to 'push' some product in my face. In short, I want to 'feel' that I am on the bank with the angler. Quietly trying to entice the fish to feed.

I don't think that is possible with the presence of a camera man, sound man, and in some cases I think a make up artist is required. ;)

My programme would be very boring to a lot of people, so not very commercial. :)

John.

Edit: I've just remembered a programme from way back in the 60s.

It was a match, where a number of well known anglers each took a kid from the 'back streets' of London. The idea was that the angler set up the tackle, then caught a fish, then handed the tackle to the kid. The only fish to count were the ones caught by the youngster.

I seem to remember Dick Walker and Fred J Taylor, were among the anglers. In fact I believe Fred J's youngster won the match with a pike of 6-7 lb. All shot in B&W, and with a simplicity that made it appealing. (or is that just the 'rose tinted' mists of time that makes me remember it this way? :D )

Any other 'old uns' out there remember it?

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John