Perfect Fishing TV Programme

AndyTV

Many people criticised the Golden maggot programmes when they were first shown, but I would love to see them again. I also vaguely remember a proramme called Strike. All I can remember about it is seeing somebody trying to catch chub oof the surface at Walter Bower's North Muskham Fisheries, but I think it was mainly match orientated.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Underwater footage can really spice up an angling show. Rig on bottom or lure in action along with some footage when there is a fish on.

Having a good angler as a tech adviser who is familiar with the specific sort of fishing the episode features is also a big help.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

why not be really daring and have someone like Janet involved,her passion shines through her reports and she was a novice not too long ago ....

I think that's a great idea Judy, Janet would be perfect.

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

I would like to see a program that covers different social and economic aspects of fishing.

For example

Perhaps have a program following an urban angler that enjoys fishing his local cannel. Then perhaps a rural angler that fishes a small stream. Then a London executive that flies up to Scotland for a days Salmon fishing. Perhaps show the differences but also the similarities.

Fisherman all have a love of water and the surrounding environment at heart.

if you sit on a cannel in Birmingham fishing, your are a world away from the housing estate, like wise if you fly up to Scotland to catch salmon you are a world away from the city of London.

Emphasis on the enjoyment of going fishing. Also the comparison in what it costs to experience the same enjoyment.

Sea angling should be brought into the programme, perhaps follow someone who seldom gets to sea fish but really enjoys it when on holiday.

I think a program that shows the relevance of angling in a fast changing world would appeal to a large market, make sure its shows the impact it has on people in all social classes. Show how it can be a positive pass time, look at young persons and how it influences there behaviour.

Make sure that commercial fisheries are covered and show how they benefit local communities. Try and show how angling has a positive impact on the UK economy.

Cover the political aspect of fishing, highlight the Minority anti angling organisations, show the conflict between boaters and anglers, swan lovers and bird lovers, if you read this forum long enough you will find all the materiel you will want for research, this forum has thousands of anglers here every day and the reason is because we find what we want to read and we are interested in our sport as a whole not just the fishing. Show the sport warts and all.

I think we are due a program that is more about the fishermen and fisherwomen than the fishing.

Let it encourage more people to take up the sport,

I think fishing should be taken seriously instead of the sweet poetic angling programs of the past, (not saying they weren’t good) make it edgy and make it relevant.

Edited by bluerinse

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

I would like to see a program that covers different social and economic aspects of fishing.

For example

Perhaps have a program following an urban angler that enjoys fishing his local cannel. Then perhaps a rural angler that fishes a small stream. Then a London executive that flies up to Scotland for a days Salmon fishing. Perhaps show the differences but also the similarities.

I agree, that aspect I had in mind with my suggested format too. Significantly, and which perhaps I should have stressed more is that the 'experts' go fishing on the 'ordinary' people's water, this is important and reduces the chance of accusations (or perhaps supports the notion?) that the 'top' anglers can only catch on prime waters.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I agree, that aspect I had in mind with my suggested format too. Significantly, and which perhaps I should have stressed more is that the 'experts' go fishing on the 'ordinary' people's water, this is important and reduces the chance of accusations (or perhaps supports the notion?) that the 'top' anglers can only catch on prime waters.

Sorry Emma but up to a point I think that would make quite boring viewing.

its not a given that the anglers have to catch, but it does make a huge difference in my opinion to the end product.

in the filming that we have been doing, we have been keen to in general visit waters where anyone can go. So far that has been a fen land drain, river servern, river chelmer, a club run gravel pit and an open syndicate water. only one was on a private venue, but the venue has to be chosen to meet many different criteria, some of which wouldnt be immediately evident or particularly relevant to the fishing itself, but more to the filming restrictions.

Also you cannot put just anyone on camera, as much as we would often like to, but some people just dont come across very well on TV and you kinda need to know that before you invest alot of time and money into filming.

Another point worth considering is that on every tv show I have been involved with, you get one day to film, much of which will be taken up with getting the right shot, right spoken sequence to camera etc. the actual fishing time can be limited and those that get results regularly i doff my hat to, because its far from easy. As one of the guests on my show said "By this time I would usually have coered the entire pit" (we were lure fishing). instead we had fished two swims. :D

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

We are doing some research for a new fishing programme and would love to hear your comments and suggestions about what makes a great fishing programme, and what doesn't!

Thanks

Andy

I think we should see all the highs and lows. EG the blanks, the missus moaning at the amount of bait in the freezer, the missus moaning about being out for three nights, the missus moaning that you dont spend enough time with her anymore. the missus moaning that the car smells of fish, the missus moaning that the garage is full of junk, the missus moaning that you forgot her birthday. etc We have all been there hey lads

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

I think we should see all the highs and lows. EG the blanks, the missus moaning at the amount of bait in the freezer, the missus moaning about being out for three nights, the missus moaning that you dont spend enough time with her anymore. the missus moaning that the car smells of fish, the missus moaning that the garage is full of junk, the missus moaning that you forgot her birthday. etc We have all been there hey lads

That quite stereotypes anglers as straight married males who are useless in the role of husband, and while that may be true in somes cases not all can or should be be subsumed within that group. ;)

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I wonder if AndyTV is following this or if we are just talking to ourselves.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

you cannot put just anyone on camera, as much as we would often like to, but some people just dont come across very well on TV and you kinda need to know that before you invest alot of time and money into filming.

I take your point to an extent, and bow to your experience in the business. However the problem of finding people who can perform in front of the camera is present in other (non-angling) programmes where people who are not actors nor presenters/journalists are included. There are a whole range of them shown these days. There must be some protocol in place to select suitable subjects? and if so it must be applicable to an angling show just as it is to, come dine with me, wife swap, secret millionaire etc?

Some people who have never performed before cameras in a professional capacity come over remarkably well once given the opportunity. I did a short piece with a local television channel years ago, it was pole fishing on the river Spree in Berlin. We got the shot of me explaining what I was doing, the basics of the tackle involved and a view of me landing a Bream all in the first go! The advantage (for me) was that I was the only angler involved, the presenter was a television journalist and the camera and sound fellows followed my lead, including the one 'cut' which I called as I drew in and unhooked a large twig, and picked up on my 'ok run' when I got a bite. I did have an advantage in that the piece was shot at the end of a match and my swim was still very active. It was great fun and has provided me with a nice bit of film to look back upon. I would have thought that there are lots of anglers who would relish the opportunity for their moment of fame?