Monster Perch

DrClaw

Hi,

I've already posted this on the back of another thread I saw about perch but after a quick search I think its worthy of it's own thread!

Last Saturday I went spinning for the first time, at the river ouse in Newport Pagnell hoping for my first pike. Got to the bank at 6am and it was a shade below freezing (-1 according to the car) :blink: Fished for about 3 hours using big 6' lures with rattles and didn't have a single bite. Decided to change to some jelly lures my mum had bought be back from holiday, started with a tiny 2in one with a wacky? hook through it. Within 10 minutes I was having bites from perch and after a couple of small ones I got a really good run, at first I wasn't sure what it was as it really took the line so fast, I couldn't believe my eyes when I slipped it into the net and realised it was a perch - I had no idea they got that big! After some furious shouting I was joined by my brother in law and 2 mates I also fishing with, all standing round throwing in guess-timates of its weight. I'll admit at this point, excitement took over and there was some talk of a record as it really did look like a massive fish!! Anyway after weighing the fish, weighing the net, then weighing them both, then the net again and then the fish in the net again(as you do!) the digital scales confirmed a weight of 3lb 11oz - a fish to be proud of :thumbs: To top the whole day off I looked in my Newport Pagnell fishing association book and I've broken the previous record of 3lb 9oz - I have been trying to get hold of the baliff to see whats what but he seems to have gone AWOL..

Anyway enjoy... excuse the face, I was trying to hold it to my chest and lift the fin up with my thumb at the same time !!

http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/DrClaw333/?sc=6

Andy

Hi Dr Claw, congratulations! That's a biggie and by the look of the photo has plenty of weight to gain yet. That'll be a 4lber soon! I hope you get many more.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hi Dr Claw, congratulations! That's a biggie and by the look of the photo has plenty of weight to gain yet. That'll be a 4lber soon! I hope you get many more.

Thanks, I was so worried the pictures wouldn't do it justice but they have come out really well, we must have taken about 10 - they all looked exactly the same! :lol:

When he does put on a few extra oz's,.... I'll be waiting :D

Thanks for the comments guys, it was a small jelly worm - it came from a DIY bass fishing lure kit, all the fish have a reflective piece of something (like the line in a tenner) going through them which gives them a real shine. The one in question was white with a yellow reflective bit...

Hey Dr Claw,

Lovely Fish and well done!! I work in Newport Pagnell and am very interested in understanding how I join the clubs to fish the rivers and which stretches are fished etc.

I also noticed you have fished Tingrith from your other photo's which lake did you try looks like orchard but couldn't tell exactly.

I live in Luton so any info about clubs particularly for the Rivers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Beds