Pike fishing

The Flying Tench

I've taken on board what a number of people have said recently about clear bright high pressure days being good for pike.

I gave the theory a try today, but I must admit i was a bit half-hearted because the high pressure has gone on for about a week, and I wondered if all the pike wouldn't have had their feast by now and be, well, full-up!

So I gave it a bit of a go at my latest discovered hot spot which is only about 18 inches deep. When I got there the water was crystal clear, and you could, for example, see the crayfish starting to tuck into the deadbait when i chucked it in at the end. I stayed well back from the water, of course, but even so I never believed that a pike would come into the open in such clear water - so I was there less than an hour, which admittedly isn't a fair trial.

But it raises a question. Are bright days good on clear shallow streams, or is lower light preferable in this case?

john clarke

Your asumption about them having allready fed is quite right John.

As for clear,shallow water my preference these days is for a fly! A dirty great big Dahlburg Diver on a floating line.Best way IMO of fishing slowly or in very shallow water there is.

Not into the fly fishing lark then try a floating surface lure.Preferably one that gives of lots of vibration/stimulation for very little movement.I find "tipping" the hooks with a "split tail" rubber worm a good way of achieving this.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

i have stalked pike in small streams,

one was a memorable event,i stalked this pike only for it to pick up and drop my roach dead,i had it popped up in a swim about 2-3ft deep,i balanced it out like a carper does a pop-up,head upstream,sitting almost like a livebait.

so teh next week i went back,looked about for the fish i had seen....i couldnt see her,so i put out a fresh popped up sardine,as i scanned teh water with my polarised specs on i spotted her coming upstream from a dying lily bed,straight on ebait and wallop she took it,the fight was incredible!!

i could see her every turn,and she had a companion!? another pike followed her as i played her......she weighed 19.06 and teh one following was easily a double.

wobbled deads are just as good as lures if not better! as you can leave em static and sight fish them.

Edited by Russell Fitzpatrick

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Thanks, interesting stuff, though I'm not a very accomplished fly fisherman and I fear if I tried the fly rod I'd end up getting caught up in the trees!

The difficulty with lures in some of the places I'm thinking of is that there's a fair bit of rubbish in the water, and you keep getting snagged up - and then with the clear water you (or I, rather) scare every fish in sight. But a surface lure? Well, I've only got one, and I've never caught on it, so I must certainly give it a go.

No-one's answered the question about bright high pressure days, though. Do you find these are good for shallow streams the same as other waters?

john clarke