Question to the forum: Kayak fishing in the Essex area.

Julian

Hi all,

Can anybody help with this visitors question to the forum?

The Visitor has been directed to this thread so could any answers / help be posted below. Cheers, Julian.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there, I am new to Kayak fishing and trying to get info on Kayak fishing in the Essex area.

Could anyone that is involved please let me know how best to go about this or if there is a local club/group.

Many thanks

Cracker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

The Visitor has been directed to this thread so could any answers / help be posted below. Cheers, Julian.

Hi there, I am new to Kayak fishing and trying to get info on Kayak fishing in the Essex area.

Could anyone that is involved please let me know how best to go about this or if there is a local club/group.

Many thanks

Cracker

Hiya Cracker

Welcome to the Forums.

There are a few Kayak Fishermen from Essex/Kent area in these Forums.I am affraid the furthest East I have fished is Leepe Beach(Solent).I am sure they will see your post and give you the answers you need.

Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

Thanks for that Zzippy, I look forward to finding out more.

Cracker

Hi there Cracker,

I Live in Leigh-on-Sea and have been kayak fishing for a couple of years. Difficult to know where to start really. Obviously you really need to have all the correct gear especially if you intend to go out at this time of year. I Normally fish in the Blackwater as this seems good in Summer and Winter and provides some degree of protection from the worst of the wind and waves although like most of the coast you do have to watch out for the tides as they can run through at a fair old pace (therefore avoid fishing the Crouch anywhere past Burnham as the outgoing tide is like a streamtrain). In summer you can drift across the mud flats in the Blackwater or Thames on incoming tides in around 12" of water and spin for Bass on very light line which is great fun. This time of year i tend to go off Bradwell (had 17 whiting, 1 pouting and 4 reasonable sized codling over around 5 hours the previous week). There are however lots of spots that i have got my eye on to give a try but just have not got around to fishing yet so it is worth you looking at charts and reports to see where you think may produce results.

Best advise is that if you are just starting out, pick a spot that is close inshore and protected to start with. That way you can test out anchor systems, gear and techniques in relative safety and then build up confidence and experience as you go. If you can wait until the summer and warmer weather then so much the better.

Rog.

Kayaks: OK Tungsten Caper - Orange & White Alaw Bach - Orange Rockhopper - Pyranha Inazone 232.

Hi there Easyrog,

I'm planning on visiting the Wetsuit store in Shoeburyness to buy a drysuit on Sat morning. Thought I'd sling the yak on the roof and maybe get a few hours fishing in a new location as well as testing out the kit. Any suggestions of suitable launches would be much appreciated. Probably look to launch around lunchtime and fish up to HT (4.30?). If you fancy a meet up or you're already fishing somewhere and don't mind some company, let me know.

Cheers

Kev/paintfly

Hi there Easyrog,

I'm planning on visiting the Wetsuit store in Shoeburyness to buy a drysuit on Sat morning. Thought I'd sling the yak on the roof and maybe get a few hours fishing in a new location as well as testing out the kit. Any suggestions of suitable launches would be much appreciated. Probably look to launch around lunchtime and fish up to HT (4.30?). If you fancy a meet up or you're already fishing somewhere and don't mind some company, let me know.

Cheers

Kev/paintfly

Hi Kev,

just did a great big reply and then comuter had a hiccup and lost it all......mmmm

Anyway, can't make Saturday as girlfried works so i have the kids.

I did go into some detail about fishing from Bradwell but i then checked the Met Office site and saw that they are forcasting westerly winds of 20mph which would make it quite uncomfortable (last time i fished there there were 20 mph easterlies and the swell was up to 5ft when the tide turned...not something i would recommend..

Closest place to Shoeburyness to put in at around 4 hours before high water is probably Thorpe Bay by the coastguard station. Not too much depth at that time (but more than anywhere else along the seafront). Fishing is not that spectacular during the day in winter unless you get out towards the deeper channel and then, with the wind at 20mph it would probably make it 'interesting'.

Personally, if the wind is likely to be that strong, i would probably give it a miss as the likleyhood of catching anything decent without risking life and limb would be small.

if you are still keen and the wind drops then pm me and i will give you as much info as possible.

Rog.

Kayaks: OK Tungsten Caper - Orange & White Alaw Bach - Orange Rockhopper - Pyranha Inazone 232.

Hi Kev,

just did a great big reply and then comuter had a hiccup and lost it all......mmmm

Anyway, can't make Saturday as girlfried works so i have the kids.

I did go into some detail about fishing from Bradwell but i then checked the Met Office site and saw that they are forcasting westerly winds of 20mph which would make it quite uncomfortable (last time i fished there there were 20 mph easterlies and the swell was up to 5ft when the tide turned...not something i would recommend..

Closest place to Shoeburyness to put in at around 4 hours before high water is probably Thorpe Bay by the coastguard station. Not too much depth at that time (but more than anywhere else along the seafront). Fishing is not that spectacular during the day in winter unless you get out towards the deeper channel and then, with the wind at 20mph it would probably make it 'interesting'.

Personally, if the wind is likely to be that strong, i would probably give it a miss as the likleyhood of catching anything decent without risking life and limb would be small.

if you are still keen and the wind drops then pm me and i will give you as much info as possible.

Rog.

Yeah, you're right, hadn't got round to checking the latest forecast. Nevermind, maybe another time eh? I'm London based so fairly centrally placed for either E. or S. coasts.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there Cracker,

Hi Rog

Many thanks for the advice. Sorry about the delay in replying, been off line, but very keen to get into the kayak fishing. I have had some experience with paddling, diving and spearfishing, but not much of a line fisherman.

All advice is much appreciated and I am going sort out the anchor system.

I am based in North Essex and try to get out for the paddling at Clacton, Maldon at times on the Stour near Sudbury. Was down in Weymouth in the summer for 3 days with two friends and paddling and fishing. I am making a concerted effort to get out during the winter months, but restricted due to family and work. I will be away in December, but look forward to getting into more seriously in the new year and would like to meet up when it suits you.

Regards

Cracker

I Live in Leigh-on-Sea and have been kayak fishing for a couple of years. Difficult to know where to start really. Obviously you really need to have all the correct gear especially if you intend to go out at this time of year. I Normally fish in the Blackwater as this seems good in Summer and Winter and provides some degree of protection from the worst of the wind and waves although like most of the coast you do have to watch out for the tides as they can run through at a fair old pace (therefore avoid fishing the Crouch anywhere past Burnham as the outgoing tide is like a streamtrain). In summer you can drift across the mud flats in the Blackwater or Thames on incoming tides in around 12" of water and spin for Bass on very light line which is great fun. This time of year i tend to go off Bradwell (had 17 whiting, 1 pouting and 4 reasonable sized codling over around 5 hours the previous week). There are however lots of spots that i have got my eye on to give a try but just have not got around to fishing yet so it is worth you looking at charts and reports to see where you think may produce results.

Best advise is that if you are just starting out, pick a spot that is close inshore and protected to start with. That way you can test out anchor systems, gear and techniques in relative safety and then build up confidence and experience as you go. If you can wait until the summer and warmer weather then so much the better.

Rog.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Many thanks

Cracker

Hi there, I live in Essex (Chelmsford), and there is a few of us Essex boys, yak fishing, I do fish the Blackwater, Canvey, and Clacton marks, were out as often as weather , wifes and work allow, hope to see you around.

Hi Codshead, thanks for that. I am based in Braintree and will try and get to meet up in the new year if you and your fellow fishermen don't mind some novice company. I should be out in Walton-on-Naze this Sunday (depending on weather and family commitments) for a general paddle with a friend who is a keen sea kayaker.

Hi there, I live in Essex (Chelmsford), and there is a few of us Essex boys, yak fishing, I do fish the Blackwater, Canvey, and Clacton marks, were out as often as weather , wifes and work allow, hope to see you around.