Venue help please

Tigger2000

I have recently retired and started sea fishing on the Isle of Grain / and Sheppy but I have very little local knowledge of where to go. Ideally I would like to fish anywhere that has reasonable access and car parking as I am unable to walk very long distances.

Hello Tigger, do you live on the Island? If you have a car, I would go to Hythe, you can almost fish out of your car there, and with a chance of something decent. On the Island, you have Minster beach etc., but it's poor fishing.

Just a thought, if you are retired, you can fish weekday evenings? If so, why don't you drive to my place in maidstone, 30 minutes or so from you, (if you live on Sheppey) and then come with me in my car to Hythe sometimes. I only fish optimum times, ie. spring tides, High betweeen 20.00 and 23.00hrs. No more all night fishing for me, it was never worth it anyway, as long as it's dark, that's ok. Daytimes are mostly useless. I picked up a 19lb Cod last year, hoping to do better this year. I never fish where there are loads of noisy idiots with searchlights either. Quiet and dark is best.

Edited by maidstonemike

Hello Tigger, do you live on the Island? If you have a car, I would go to Hythe, you can almost fish out of your car there, and with a chance of something decent. On the Island, you have Minster beach etc., but it's poor fishing.

Just a thought, if you are retired, you can fish weekday evenings? If so, why don't you drive to my place in maidstone, 30 minutes or so from you, (if you live on Sheppey) and then come with me in my car to Hythe sometimes. I only fish optimum times, ie. spring tides, High betweeen 20.00 and 23.00hrs. No more all night fishing for me, it was never worth it anyway, as long as it's dark, that's ok. Daytimes are mostly useless. I picked up a 19lb Cod last year, hoping to do better this year. I never fish where there are loads of noisy idiots with searchlights either. Quiet and dark is best.

Thanks so much for contacting me Mick, as I said I am at Allhallows I have a chalet on the holiday estate that I bought about 9 years ago and I normally come down here for about a week twice a month but my home is in S/E London. like yourself I prefer to fish weekdays when the idiots are not around unless there is a tide that makes it really worth fishing a weekend tide. Up until about 15 years ago I used to regularly fish the area from the Hotel Imperial down to Denge Marsh, in those days as we all know you could go there and normally come away with a good catch, (the largest Cod I ever caught of the point was just under 24lbs) but I expect that those days are long gone now. Some company at night would be great as I normally fish alone so your idea sounds perfect. If you could give me your email address we can exchange phone numbers and possibly plan to meet up and have a chat. Regards, Peter

Tigger

The sea wall behind the Ship on the Shore Pub, (just off Marine Parade Sheppey) and along to Bartons Point, still produces; but is much more patchy than it was in the past, Whiting and odd Flatties being the mainstay of winter sport.

The dreaded Gillingham Pier can offer excellent fishing for Sole, Whiting, Mullet and Bass depending on the season, but it's not the place to fish on your own.

I have fished Allhallows by the Grain Fort and it does throw up the odd fish but for me at least it has never really produced.

Quite a few of us on AN are members of the Medway Mullet Club and we meet up once a month (the first Thursday) at the Ship and Trades Pub next to the Dockyard Outlet Centre Chatham, why don't you come along as we dont just discuss Mullet.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Tigger

The sea wall behind the Ship on the Shore Pub, (just off Marine Parade Sheppey) and along to Bartons Point, still produces; but is much more patchy than it was in the past, Whiting and odd Flatties being the mainstay of winter sport.

The dreaded Gillingham Pier can offer excellent fishing for Sole, Whiting, Mullet and Bass depending on the season, but it's not the place to fish on your own.

I have fished Allhallows by the Grain Fort and it does throw up the odd fish but for me at least it has never really produced.

Quite a few of us on AN are members of the Medway Mullet Club and we meet up once a month (the first Thursday) at the Ship and Trades Pub next to the Dockyard Outlet Centre Chatham, why don't you come along as we dont just discuss Mullet.

Done Gillingham pier thing Sunday night and it was totally deserted, had no problems though but I will take your advice for any future visits. Whiting coming in steadily and caught one Gurnard. Thanks for the advice and invite Tony. I will try to come along next month.

Tony

Tigger

Tony is spot on, we Medway Mullet Group members ( totally informal, no membership cards, no fees, just turn up and chat ) would be pleased to meet you. Mullet by name, but most who come along fish for other species. It's just good to get out, have a drink,or two, and talk about our passion . . angling!

Hope to see you on Dec 7th. Most of us get there about 8 to 9'ish.

Ship & Trades Public House

Maritime Way

Chatham, Kent.

Between the Factory Outlet Centre and St Marys Island. Plenty of free parking.

Andrew Boyd