PIKE TAGGING

.Russell

Hello all,

just looking for a bit of advice.....

I have recently started fishing for pike in the grand western canal in devon. Yesterday I hooked and landed a pike (huge by my standards!((around 10lb!!))). The issue is that it had a blue cable tie through its back just in front of the rear dorsal fin. No knowing what to do is reaeased it back into the water with the tag still in place. When I got home I did a little research and found an article on this website detailing an illegal tagging programme on this canal. My Question is this; What do I do if I catch another one?? Do I remove the tag and leave an open wound on the fish or do I simply release it back into the water?

My gut instinct of course would be to remove the tag but yesterday unsure of weather or not this practice was oficial I simply didn't know what to do.

Thanks for any advice,

Russell

I remember that article.

Was it an actual tie, with no serial numbers on and forming a loop?

I'll await comment from more experienced anglers, but I'd have removed it if it was. Tags generally are single strand (not a loop) so that they don't get the fish tethered on things.

EDIT: Just found the original article:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/News/illegal_pike_tagging.html

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

That's just so wrong.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I remember that article.

Was it an actual tie, with no serial numbers on and forming a loop?

I'll await comment from more experienced anglers, but I'd have removed it if it was. Tags generally are single strand (not a loop) so that they don't get the fish tethered on things.

EDIT: Just found the original article:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/News/illegal_pike_tagging.html

Yes it was an actual cable tie, just like the one in the article except blue. I think maybe in future I will cut the loop so it cannot become snagged trapping the fish. This means that the fish won't be left with an open wound, liable to infection etc and with the tie cut it will be able to work its way out without further damaging the fish.....Good idea????

Fish with superficial wounds like this (although very stupid and dangerous in my opinion) recover extremely quickly. There shouldn't be any problem removing the tie itself.

I dont remeber reading /hearing about that particular incident. Not really fair either on the fish or other anglers.Ive been involved in a Pike tagging operation on a water that had extremely limited acsess and must admit allthough the info gained was very interesting catching tagged fish did detract a bit from catching them.At least I was getting the benifit of the info and the tagging was being carried out correctly.Not the case for this situation and most if not all other "illegal" schemes.

Ah well not quite as bad as that awfull trend that was being carried out by carp "anglers" on some French waters of fin clipping.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!