Is the Southern Colony Sustainable?

Leon Roskilly

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/new...6162371630.html

MELBURNIANS will not be allowed to wash their cars, fill new pools or use sprinklers on their gardens from New Year's Day.

The severe stage three water restrictions allow thirsty gardens just eight hours of hosing a week, while sprinkler and spray watering systems are banned.

The restrictions, to be announced today by Water Minister John Thwaites, come as Melbourne's water storages plummet to 40.2 per cent capacity.

Without significant rain this summer, Melbourne is on track to hit the 29.3 per cent trigger for draconian stage four limits, which ban watering gardens altogether.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

G'day mate, Brisbane IS on level 4 restritions

Residential water restrictions

Level four water restrictions commenced on Wednesday, 1 November 2006.

Water restrictions only apply if you use town water (drinking water).

All outdoor sprinkling and hosing is banned.

Existing gardens and lawns

Watering is only permitted using a hand held watering can or bucket filled directly from a tap:

House/unit number Times Days

Odd number 4am-8am and 4pm-8pm Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday

Even or unnumbered Wednesday, Friday, Sunday

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Hope you folks get some relief really soon. That has to be a horrible situation.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hope you folks get some relief really soon. That has to be a horrible situation.

A horrible siuation, indeed.

Australia.A2002276.0350.1km.jpg

The bushfires in Eastern Australia, from NASA.........I waved but only got a :bleh: :bleh: from them.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Stone the Crows! It must be getting serious.

Dame Edna is begging water for Australia off the Queen!

So when the Queen asks me what I want for Christmas I think — typically — of the needs of others. "What we need is water Lillibet — and lots of it! Could you organise a Water for Australia campaign? Your subjects could leave bottles and other receptacles at Buckingham Palace. I will arrange collection at this end.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/entertainmen...6290743018.html

RNLI Shoreline Member

Stone the Crows! It must be getting serious.

Dame Edna is begging water for Australia off the Queen!

http://www.theage.com.au/news/entertainmen...6290743018.html

we sent them crap before ! why not boats full of plastic bottles ,hoorah for edna

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

we sent them crap before ! why not boats full of plastic bottles ,hoorah for edna

Now you know why we keep on beating the cra* out of you in cricket and rugby league, and swimming, and tennis and......... :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

"The really scary thing is last time we had a drought of this intensity that lasted about five years - it lasted for about 50 years," cautioned Professor Andy Pitman from Macquarie University in Sydney. .....

.........."We're in a state of emergency," said Cate Faehrmann from the Nature Conservation Council of New South Wales. "We need to treat this as a war-like scenario. The people are really worried that we are going to run out of water."

She added: "I can imagine Australia being a desert in a few decades' time in some of these agricultural areas. The soil is blowing away, the rivers are drying up.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6204141.stm

RNLI Shoreline Member

• 2 months later...
I don't care!! The day after I win the lottery, I will be at Australia House getting a visa to stay there permanently! (I have a brother-in-law who has given me a one acre plot!).

At least they don't have TWO wars running that are BANKRUPTING it!!

It is worth noting that species called "Politicians" are the same throughout the world :rolleyes:

Australia is in the grip of the worst drought in 100 years. Prime Minister John Howard announced plans in January to spend more than A$10 billion ($7 billion) to restore ailing rivers, making dwindling water supplies his priority in an election year.

They create a situation then promise to put it right during election time then promptly forget about it :rolleyes:

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist