The Accidental Angler

maranman

Hi everybody,

Because it probably won't be promoted, here is a listing I culled from the BBC website - I believe this is the 1st of 3 programs?

The Accidental Angler

BBC2 Sun 12 November 2006, 8:00 pm - 9:00 pm 60mins

Indian Mahseer: In search of the legendary and mighty Mahseer, the strongest freshwater fish in the world, Charles Rangeley-Wilson travels to Mysore in India to fish the Cauvery river.

Subtitles Stereo Widescreen

Should be good :clap:

Regards, Maranman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed it! i dont have a tv in my room, but my housemate does, but he is away, and short of breaking down his door, i dont have a tv to watch it on! then again, being BBC wales which i get here, it would have probably been swappe with a welsh rugby program instead :lol:

I watched it. I thought it was pleasant enough, but was more like a travelogue type programme. Obviously aimed at more than the just the anglers viewing it. I think it fell somewhere between the two, and wasn't very good as either. But watchable all the same. If the rest are like this, I'll watch it if there's nothing else on, but I won't go out of my way to watch it.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Watched it tonight, very good & quite funny at times as well. I thought he put a good image for non anglers across. The Mahseer looked stunning. The ever present Subhan is still doing the business it seems :lol:

The missus stayed awake throughout the entire episode, & she hasn't done that since Passion for angling!!

A good sign methinks

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Watched it tonight...bit of a bore really. Even on a wide screen the scenery didn't really come across.

As a fishing programme it was a washout, crude methods...chuck it and hope...and wait....and wait... joe public will soon get bored with it.

From an anglers point of view, the shots of the "fight" and "battle" were laughable. Never heard or saw the clutch slipping/giving line...when he walked the fish around the rock the line was slack!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure I will bother to watch the next one.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I can't understand the negative reactions to this programme. I thought it was an entertaining and well filmed episode with stunning scenery and a great happy vibe to it. Some of you need to lighten up and realise you don't have to sit through an hour of talking bullshit about 'secret' rigs and 'secret baits that give you the edge' to constitute good viewing.

I've noticed that literally all fishing mags have now become purely marketing tools for manufacturers and are now laden with all the latests tactics and latest gear you MUST buy, instead of emphasising the need to enjoy your fishing, and maybe people were expecting an aspect of that in the programme. I'm glad to say it was a welcome relief to all the overly commercial aspects of modern fishing, and made me chuckle a few times (especially when the live fish was lost to the market waterways. he he)

I would have thought any angling related programme on terrestrial tv would have resulted in crowds lining the streets and cheering but obviously not.

No pleasing some people eh?

Watched it tonight...bit of a bore really. Even on a wide screen the scenery didn't really come across.

As a fishing programme it was a washout, crude methods...chuck it and hope...and wait....and wait... joe public will soon get bored with it.

From an anglers point of view, the shots of the "fight" and "battle" were laughable. Never heard or saw the clutch slipping/giving line...when he walked the fish around the rock the line was slack!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure I will bother to watch the next one.

Den

I'm surprised at that Den. Having looked at your site and appreciated your wildlife photographs I thought you may have liked it.

I can't understand why you're calling the methods crude, what do you expect fishing in raging waters for possibly the hardest fighting fish alive? A stick float and 22 hook?? Perhaps we should ask Andy Findlay to fish for them with the method feeder with the new Preston Innovations Mahseer Method rod and Preston Innovations Mahseer 11' waggler rod!!!! You have to use the 11' instead of the 13' as it gives you greater control over the fish at the net ;)

In all seriousness, i've seen cruder methods (frankly barbaric) employed on carp puddles every weekend and nobody even bats an eyelid.

James P

Edited by James P

"if i'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer!"

I thought this was a decent programme but.... i think for the uk viewer it would have been better to start with a series set in the UK fishing for all the different coarse,game fish and show the stunning scenery in this country to grab the viewers. :)

Once you have got the following you can then hopefully get another series and look at doing the fishing abroad ect. much harder the other way around IMO!!

With my silken line and delicate hook,i wander in a myriad of ripples and find freedom!

agree with carpstar....this is a half way house programme. predictably, It works neither as an angling prog per se, or as a travelogue. Frankly it was a bore, set in an area few of us will want to fish , or will have the money to fish. At least next week its brown trout, albeit in Bhutan. Hopefully it will be better. This 1st episode was for me, a disappointing flop.Come back Jonh Wilson, all is forgiven!