Chub Fishing On The Chelmer

Elton

Posted on behalf of Keith. Please add all replies to this thread:

Can anyone point me in the right direction for chub fishing on The River Chelmer in Essex?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

there are some big chub on the chelmer, you need to look for side streams, ovr hanging trees etc. and its just the usual keep low to the water, don't make noise, fish with sensible line as they can take you into the tree roots. There is the river wid that feeds into the chelmer and that is great small stream chub fishing. i like sweetcorn this time of the year as worms can be picked up by small perch. tight lines.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

I used to fish the Chelmer at paper mill lock some years ago, I found the chub fishing challenging, I did catch a good 5lb+ chub next to the bridge were the side stream enters the main flow, however it was on a dead bait being fished for pike.

some chub are under the bridge but are very shy, after dark is your best bet, bread, no float and a single shot just to get the bread down is best flicked in front of the bridge and allowed to roll under works.

I was told some barbel fingerlings had been stocked at peppermill lock (about 8 years ago) I wonder if they have managed to get established.

I have had some fantastic Pike, Tench and Bream fishing on the Chelmer and winter roach fishing can be amazing.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

I used to fish the Chelmer at paper mill lock some years ago, I found the chub fishing challenging, I did catch a good 5lb+ chub next to the bridge were the side stream enters the main flow, however it was on a dead bait being fished for pike.

some chub are under the bridge but are very shy, after dark is your best bet, bread, no float and a single shot just to get the bread down is best flicked in front of the bridge and allowed to roll under works.

I was told some barbel fingerlings had been stocked at peppermill lock (about 8 years ago) I wonder if they have managed to get established.

I have had some fantastic Pike, Tench and Bream fishing on the Chelmer and winter roach fishing can be amazing.

Paper mill is a good area. havent fished it for a while like you but had some good fish. I havent heard of many barbel being caught but doesnt mean they are not there probably very localised like on the suffolk stour.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

Been fishing the Chelmer at Heybridge Basin throughout the summer but only had 1 chub of 4 1/2 lb. caught on sweetcorn. If you were after bream then no problem, you'll catch loads if you use bread and maggots. Cheese proved fruitless and too many eels about to use worms.

Try freelined slugs. The chub go mad for them and they pick up the odd decent perch too. I don't think eels will bother much with them, although I am not sure.

Chunk of lamprey would ooze out for ages in the cold water and draw big bruiser chub out.

I have taken a few chub on fish chunks mainly smelts My only concern was the likelyhood of picking up a pike or two which i have done. This raises the question about wire traces.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.