Best Mono line for Trotting

BobH

Yes true, I guess it depends on where and how you fish - where I trot there is no casting required, no rocks, and a hooklength is a good idea whatever mainline you use as they are narrow streams/rivers and you often get stuck on vegetation and have to pull for a break. The swirly and broken water means the high-riding line is a massive benefit, as it seeing when it needs to be mended. Modern braids are nice and smooth :)

I use 3lb and 2lb hooklengths and small hooks a lot as I'm not fishing for big fish, but even so I've never been broken by the bigger fish (chub to 4lb+ and trout to 4lb+ in fast water).

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I very often fish a small local river that's very snaggy. You might think to fish straight through would be asking for trouble but being honest when pulling to try and get out of a snag either my hook will straighten ( depending on the snag, trees, branches or other solid snags usually straighten out the hook ok), or else my line snaps at or around my hook or my shot, more often than not at the shot as the line is a little weaker there where it's been compressed...my knots are bomb proof lol.

I'm not trying to convert anyone from using braid to mono, if you find braid works best for you then you'd be daft not to use it :).

Edited by Tigger

Interesting subject with no definitive answers, but for me braid wins out every time for the same reason as Anderoo states with its ability to lift cleanly off the water when mending the line.I know that Daiwa Sensor is a favourite with many but I absolutely hate the stuff. For quite a while now I have used Powerpro mainline with Maxima bottoms between 2 and 6lb and Pro Clear for anything over dependant on what is being fished for. Some time ago I did have a bit of a problem with some braids due to the grating on the line guides but that is no longer an issue. It also means that I do not have to change the line for close in Carp and Tench fishing with the pin. Using a suitable length nylon bottom negates a lot of the cut off issues and if you do for any reason have to pull for a break I find it is a lot easier with braid due to the lack of elasticity.

All,

I'm not sure how heavily pressured the venues you are talking about are. What consideration do you have to give the ecology using 2 lb anything? Personally I cannot manipulate 2 lb braid. It would have to be mono. Are you positive you couldn't catch the same fish on 17 lb Berkley Big Game?

It is an interesting topic that must be no newer than 150 years. Certainly I cannot fathom using any of the above so my comments are just that - comments.

Phone

Phone, in this situation, hooklengths would be mono, mainline braid. I wouldn't want to use braid much less than about 8lb for anything, I find it too fiddly and prone to tangles.

Using a suitable length nylon bottom negates a lot of the cut off issues and if you do for any reason have to pull for a break I find it is a lot easier with braid due to the lack of elasticity.

Yes but how long a mono hooklength would you consider to be long enough ?

My line can come back badly grated and scuffed 30, 40 or even more yards along it. If i'd been using braid the there's no question that I would have been snapped off and left the fish trailing my end tackle plus many yards of line. This isn't uncommon and happens very often on my local rivers.

If using a long gut bottom you then have the issue of the knot or whatever you've used to attatch the two travelling through your guides and most likely catching as it goes out.

Edited by Tigger

I’ve been a braid user for a few years now but recently I had to swap back to mono when using the cane rod (braid would wear the rings). I have to say that the soft action of the rod combined with the more stretchy mono made playing a fish a stress free experience. I was sold on the ‘total feel’ aspect of braid but I’m questioning that now. If I feel a chub thump then it’s already transmitted stress through the end tackle and I can’t do anything about it so why do I need to feel it? I’d rather have the rod and line soak all of that up and let me get on with guiding the fish.

Having said that visibility and buoyancy are the biggest issues for me and until I can find a mono which replicates braid in those respects I’ll carry on using Fireline Crystal for trotting.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Ian, whilst I have fished many rivers, I must admit that I do not fish anywhere with as severe conditions as those in your picture and if I did would probably need to reconsider what I was doing. However, for the trotting that I do which includes rivers like the Severn, Trent and Dove I have not had any problems with braid. The length of nylon that I use is usually dictated by the depth of the deepest swim that I intend to fish. Whilst your point regarding a joining knot is very relevant especially with the ringing of a match type rod, it may not be so critical with an avon type rod with larger rings. There is no one answer and it comes down to personal choice on the day. Still can't get on with Sensor though :yucky: but I suppose with all those pins and needing to replace line on a regular basis it does the job for you.

Edited by tincatinca

Rusty,

This is a tip from an angling mate. He says braid will NOT cause excessive wear on your rod guides. - - - - BUT dirt and dust is prone to sticking on braid and he says dirt will wear rod guides quicker than sandpaper.

I have no or very little experience with braid

Here are two from "coffee":

POWER PRO BRAID MICROFILAMENT FISHING LINE

Most people choose color based on personal preferences, but for fishermen, color is a necessity. Each application requires a specific color line. Anglers decide on the color lure they will throw, and should also be selective with the color of line to use in each application.

Simply put, PowerPro is the ultimate combination of modern technology and old-fashioned fishing knowledge.

Power Pro structure begins with ultra-strong braided Spectra Fiber, then use Enhanced Body Technology to create an incredibly round, smooth, and sensitive line. PowerPro outperforms monofilament lines in any situation and leaves other superlines in the dust. Try PowerPro on your next fishing trip, and see for yourself why it's every angler's dream - and every fish's nightmare!

What is the PowerPro Advantage
PowerPro's unique composition and EBT give you a line that is:

Rounder and more compact
• Won't bury in the spool
• Spools & packs better on any reel
• Picks up less water
• Has unbelievable strength-to-size ratio

Structurally Superior
• Reduces wind knots, backlashes, guide and rod tip wraps
• Ties more easily and holds knots better
• Near zero stretch
• No reel memory

Smoother and Slicker
• Sails effortlessly through guides for longer casts
• Won't cut guides
• Resists abrasion by equipment or natural hazards
• Maintains performance over time

Raven Main Line Monofilament Line features excellent abrasion resistance and high breaking strength. The supple formulation and high buoyancy make it ideal for float fishing applications.

This line comes on 18 lb. spools. We stock Raven Main Line in 6 through 20 lb. tests in Fluorescent Yellow and Low-Vis Green. Fluorescent Pink and Low-Vis Grey are available in 6 through 15 lb. tests only. The 17 lb. test and 20 lb. test are available in Fluorescent Yellow and Low-Vis Green only.

Features of Raven Main Line Monofilament Line include:

• Excellent abrasion resistance
  • High breaking strength
  • High buoyancy
  • Good for float fishing applications

Phone

(above cut and paste)