Looking to bulid a site~?

Chris Goddard

http://www.nvu.com/index.php

http://www.webmaster-talk.com/

Both recommended and both seem quite good! I personally am a numpty at this and have tried various avenues to get help, but to no avail. So hope these may help some of us!! :)

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Chris,

Having done and re-done my own site many times the first thing to remember is that there is always room for improvement!

If you can try to have a mental/paper image of what you want to start with (don't worry too much about specific content at this stage) and with this in mind google tutorials for CSS (styles) and HTML (web page content).

Huge advantage in CSS is so much as you can change styles applicable to many sheets by simply altering one file.

W3 is a good place to start for tutorials and maybe somewhere like Stu Nicholls CSS Play site also for a number of styles.

I used Dreamweaver for mine but in reality I think it hindered instead of helped as most of the time I wasn't learning the code or more importantly what the code meant.

A good image editor is more important (try irfanview (free!)) if you intent to use images.

Finally try hard to keep your files in a logical order too as this helps heaps!

Good Luck

Slap

Norrie!! I WISH!!! He and others have promised me allsorts over the years and months, I have spent around £1000 and still have NOTHING!!! But thanks for the heads up!! :)

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

What sort of site are you looking for?

plain static html files or a more dynamic feel, where the backend is php/MySQL based?

Erm??? again in english Si please :blink::blink::blink:

What I need is a site where I can ply my wares to the world at large basically. I am also looking to do a site in French Language for the shop in France. That could be a basic couple of pages and "Static?" But as I say I have spent around £1000 in the last couple of years and have got nowhere!! www.chris-goddard.co.uk is as far as I have got and that was built by a company who I have paid £700 to learn how to build a site!!! Plus hosting. But resultant site needs to be something I can play with myself.

Chris Goddard

It can be done in several different ways, one being .html pages, which you would need to know how to make a html page. Downside to this is, that if you change something (such as the copyright notice at the bottom) then you need to edit each file.

Would be accessed something like

www.chris-goddard.co.uk/index.html

www.chris-goddard.co.uk/about.html

eg:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
<title>Page Title</title>
</head>

<body>
Content goes here
</body>
</html>

Or you could have dynamic pages where you have one main file, then other files which hold different information, but that information is also included in the main pages.

could be accessed like:

www.chris-goddard.co.uk/index.php?id=index

www.chris-goddard.co.uk/index.php?id=about

www.chris-goddard.co.uk/index.php?p=index

www.chris-goddard.co.uk/index.php?p=about

(several files, but each file (as in the first example) are split into separate files

Also it can be made so that the information on the site can be in text files, so if you need to change anything, then all you would need to do is edit that text file, but the dis-advantage of that is the styling of the text.

Personally I would go with the second option as its very easy to work with as long as you know very basic html.

An example of the second option can be found on both of the sites in my signature

Static web pages can be produced by MSWord.

Create the page you want and save it as a Web Page.

Then have a look at the 'source' (Browser window/View) to learn how to edit them.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net