A new PC

RobStubbs

I'm considering getting rid of this PC and upgrading to something faster, probably early in the new year. I mainly use it for internet surfing and stuff but also word etc, plus I will be doing some photo editing.

Is there anything I need or should steer clear of and any recommendations ?

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob, only one thing I can reccomend to avoid. Well two actually!! PC WORLD and NORTON!! :)

But being a sensible person you already knew that!! :P

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Rob, only one thing I can reccomend to avoid. Well two actually!! PC WORLD and NORTON!! :)

But being a sensible person you already knew that!! :P

Jeez cheers :notworthy:

But yep I wouldn't go near either with a barge pole.

Rob.

Depends on if you`re technically minded or not?

Its cheaper to build your own, I did, and I saved over £300 through buying things separately

Nope, not in the slightest, plus I don't really have the time to do all the searching, buying and building. Much rather get someone off the shelf. I guess it's specs I'm after rather than a which PC buy. I want a much faster processor, plenty (more) ram and a thing a decent graphics card would also help - any pointers what to look for / avoid would be useful.

Cheers,

Rob.

Rob,

Looking at what you've said above, your needs are very basic and I would just wait until you're ready to buy and visit somewhere like http://www.dabs.com/

As you're not after the latest hi-spec mega machine, you'll pick up a bargain. The one I have here was about £350, I think.

Also, if your monitor and accessories are okay, you'll be able to buy just the box, which means you'll get a better machine for your money.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Try http://www.novatech.co.uk

Most people would say avoid all the 'onboard' stuff and have seperate cards for each function eg Network, Modem, Graphics.

You could probably speed up what you've got!

Edited by Jim Roper

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

I'll probably get flamed for this but Dell is an extremely cheap option and with Xmas coming up there will be lots of deals about.

www.dell.co.uk or http://www.itcsales.co.uk/acatalog/Dell_Di..._Computers.html (sometimes cheaper esp without monitor)

Check deals for extra memory and if you plan to add stuff then avoid the 'C' models as these are in compact cases with little extra room inside.

For what It's worth good friend of mine has used Novatech since they opened down on the Ind Estate in Pompey and has never had anything duff from them! I know because he is always telling me!!

Basically Rob you are probably better buying a box from someone like Novatech or Even Dabs as they have been doing this for a LONG time. But tend to spend the advertising revenue on building cheaper and better machines as opposed to glossy ads in magazines! But really you need to speak to people who HAVE bvought machines and have used them! Elton I think is a good case for this!!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Cheers all for the info. I did have a quick look at novatech and they look pretty good. What I never now is is X memory, and y processor OK for the job ? I guess if I can get a 512 or 1GB memory and a processor at 3GHz or better then I should be going in theright direction. I will also get one with a separate graphics card.

Looks like I might have to part with the best part of grand for a new gun though so it might be later rather than sooner next year.

Rob.