A new PC

RobStubbs

Looks like I might have to part with the best part of grand for a new gun though so it might be later rather than sooner next year.

Rob.

No way........ max £500, even if you only get 512 mem, it's only £25-50 to put another 512 on.......

If you don't need a new TFT then £400 is a better budget.

The big choice is AMD or P4........ ;)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way........ max £500, even if you only get 512 mem, it's only £25-50 to put another 512 on.......

If you don't need a new TFT then £400 is a better budget.

The big choice is AMD or P4........ ;)

You missread it - I said a grand for the gun, not the PC.

400-500 looks about the price for a PC.

Rob.

You are not PXing your old pistol then?? Would have thought ANYTHING you had would make you a PC Rob??

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

You are not PXing your old pistol then?? Would have thought ANYTHING you had would make you a PC Rob??

Might PX it or just flog it. Yep probably will get 500 - 600 back on it but that still leaves me 400-500 quid out of pocket. I only recently had to change the tv and that had to be a big shiny LCD jobby. The PC is just annoyingly slow so is on the list for replacing, rather than in urgent need.

Rob.

These days PCWorld aren't half as bad as people make out. As long as you have no problem saying NO when they start trying to sell you insurance the actual kit isn't half as dear as it used to be. I'd choose Dell because they are more flexible, it's more like making your own system without the hassle as you can pick and choose what goes into it.

I'm waiting for the next Medion PC to arrive at Aldi. Fantastic spec at a really good price. You need cash up front though, which is one of the reasons you get them at a good price. I bought my current PC from Toys R Us - a Cybermaxx, which I think is actually a Medion. I've had it for years now and it has been very reliable. I had to replace the cd/dvd burner, but that was a cheap five minute job. It is still running on Windows ME though and it isn't worth buying a copy of it to upgrade.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Mmmm would have agreed with you about Medion Peter!! But the after sales sucks!!! TWICE I had to return my laptop and it took a month to get it back both times (Same fault) And the second time they returned it without the discs and tv tuner!! First time it was power supply whic they did replace!! But the laptop is STILL useless as I have no drivers for it!!

But for value for money!? NO CONTEST!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Nope, not in the slightest, plus I don't really have the time to do all the searching, buying and building. Much rather get someone off the shelf. I guess it's specs I'm after rather than a which PC buy. I want a much faster processor, plenty (more) ram and a thing a decent graphics card would also help - any pointers what to look for / avoid would be useful.

Cheers,

Rob.

TIP: get a pc with a standard sized chassis as future upgrading with a slim/small chassis will cause you a ton of grief when it comes to the upgrade, having to use a hacksaw to get things to fit into the tiny chassis

there are places that will build a pc for you instead of buying off the shelf pc's

other benefits of having a pc custom made/self made is that they are alot cheaper and are in most cases alot faster than the so called fast off the shelf ones.

i already knew this but i watched The Gadeget show a few weeks back and they competed against off the shelf and self built pc, the woman bought a pc which was high spec and cost her about 500 / 600 quid the guy built his own for about 300 like Si and was slightly lower spec than the womans and on all the tests the guys pc beat the womans hands down.

its somthing definetly worth looking into rob. personaly im quite liking acers at the moment for off the shelf pc's ive had one for about 2 years now and can still compete with most high spec systems to date, i just need to upgrade my graphics card.

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Andy,

I'm afraid I'm too busy with other things and too lazy to build a pc. I have lots of other things I'd rather be doing with my 'spare' time. Heck I even sometimes like to get out fishing - when I'm not shooting.

Cheers,

Rob.

P.S. I love watching the gadget show except I now want a rocket, a motorised scooter and probably half a dozen other things that escape me at the minute :D

i totaly aggree Novatech one of the best

ps what kind of gun you loking for.

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif