A new PC

RobStubbs

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lidl have got some Targa PCs in their flyer for next week.

The 250GB 'Targa' hard drive that I bought from there, was a Maxtor!

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Most PCs use components from the same few sources, so you could probably be lucky or unlucky with almost any make. I think it is very rare to buy a PC that has a genuinely faulty component and as long as you don't buy from a here-today-gone-tomorrow type of place you will be adequately covered by the Sal of Goods Act. I know of people who have had all kinds of problems with PCs that were built for them to order, so that isn't necessarily the best route to go down. I haven't seen anything that particularly stands out at the moment, so I'm biding my time a little bit longer.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Looks like I'm a bit of a nob head then :) I went to PC world, got a super fast, super powerful, super top notch graphics card, all in a nice shiny box labelled COMPAQ Presario £450 (or thereabouts)

All the components are branded names like Intel, Nvidea etc.

Of course, I could have got the same components in a box labelled Dell for a little less maybe....would they have worked any better?

I have had good service/advice/help from my branch of PC world, and have no hesitation recomending them. But, you do need to spend a bit of tim comparing prices and specs, and avoiding the salesmen/women until you are ready.

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

We've had three servers from Novatech and have no complaints. One of them had a disk in the RAID array die almost immediately, they replaced it promptly and with no problems.

As far as aftersales service goes, beware. I bought this PC from a company I knew had an utterly appalling reputation for aftersales service on the basis that it was very cheap for the spec and that I didn't intend using their support. What I didn't realise was that you had to deal with their support system in order to make a warranty claim :angry:

PSU went within a year. I phoned their customer care number, told them the PSU had failed and said I wanted it fixed under warranty. The only way I could get it dealt with was to spend 10 minutes speaking to a £1/min support line while a bloke in India diagnosed a failed PSU. :wallbash: At which point they offered to pick it up and fix it, but the courier would cost me 40 quid. I could buy a better PSU than the one they would fit for that, so I told them to shove it up their arse and fixed it myself.

Company, in case anyone hasn't guessed, was Tiny, now defunct. The PC, while the spec was very good for the money, showed signs of serious scrimping on the components not listed on the advert, and has always suffered an instability problem I just can't fix. So, don't think that a dire aftersales reputation doesn't matter just because you can sort it out yourself, because you might have to call them to claim on the warranty.

Definatly Dell, bought one6 mnths ago with 19in screen etc for 350, some special deal, they always have some sort of offer

Does everything it says on the tin,the inbuilt sound card is'nt the best, but it's bearable

Then went to crucial.com and doubled my ram for £30, when they want about £80 for the same.

Dan

Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like I'm a bit of a nob head then :) I went to PC world, got a super fast, super powerful, super top notch graphics card, all in a nice shiny box labelled COMPAQ Presario £450 (or thereabouts)

All the components are branded names like Intel, Nvidea etc.

Of course, I could have got the same components in a box labelled Dell for a little less maybe....would they have worked any better?

I have had good service/advice/help from my branch of PC world, and have no hesitation recomending them. But, you do need to spend a bit of tim comparing prices and specs, and avoiding the salesmen/women until you are ready.

Den

Sorry but I must disagree, PC world are a bunch of rip off merchants. If you want a PC then IMHO the best bet is to either buy one from Dell or but the bits and make your own. It's not hard to build a PC from components. If my 11 yeart old kid can do it so can you.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Sorry but I must disagree, PC world are a bunch of rip off merchants. If you want a PC then IMHO the best bet is to either buy one from Dell or but the bits and make your own. It's not hard to build a PC from components. If my 11 yeart old kid can do it so can you.

here here m8, i once was in desprate need of ram after mines packed in, a pc shop across the road from pc world sells it but had none in stock, it woulda cost me £30 but i had to opt for pc world and spent an extra £20, identical ram in every which way, even brand and probably came off the same assembly line. £50 i was raging but i needed it.

try this pc on for size rob, if you aint already bought one, it doesnt come with windows, keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, just the base. Pless

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk