uptiding

mikeb

I fish the Thames and the Blackwater and almost always uptide fish (wasn't it first invented around here by John Rawle specifically for the sand banks and mud flats off Bradwell????).

Always works brilliantly. Means that you can use a lighter lead weight and utilise the belly of line in the tide to get the breakaway to dig in and hold. Any decent fish will pull the gripper out and trundle off down tide.

Rog.

Kayaks: OK Tungsten Caper - Orange & White Alaw Bach - Orange Rockhopper - Pyranha Inazone 232.

I fish the Thames and the Blackwater and almost always uptide fish (wasn't it first invented around here by John Rawle specifically for the sand banks and mud flats off Bradwell????).

Always works brilliantly. Means that you can use a lighter lead weight and utilise the belly of line in the tide to get the breakaway to dig in and hold. Any decent fish will pull the gripper out and trundle off down tide.

Rog.

The word uptiding was coined my John Rawle and Bob Cox. Ever since the first grip weight came about the bristol channel crew have been casting leads up tide of the boat. John Rawle certainly did perfect the method and brought it to the masses.

It certainly is the prefered method of fishing from a boat in shallow water when using bait.

GB

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

The word uptiding was coined my John Rawle and Bob Cox. Ever since the first grip weight came about the bristol channel crew have been casting leads up tide of the boat. John Rawle certainly did perfect the method and brought it to the masses.

It certainly is the prefered method of fishing from a boat in shallow water when using bait.

GB

Found this

http://www.veals.co.uk/lewis.php

Hi All,

My understanding of uptiding was that it allowed anglers on a charter boat who were unfortunate enough to not be at the stern, to be able to get their baits clear of the scare area caused by the boat.

With us being on a kayak alone, doesn't it make the method unneccesary, being able to trot the bait away downtide.

Stu :)

My thoughts Stu but Im willing to be corrected.

Certainly not much of a scare area around the Yak I have had a pout jump into it, a bass swim alongside it, terns dive around it and a sole dive off of it. :D:D

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

That's what I thought Paul. I can however see the reason maybe if you need to use lighter leads with grips to hold bottom, but if you are fishing fine enough line anyway, then big leads shouldn't be needed I wouldn't have thought

I don't know really and am willing to be corrected.

I don't know the Bristol Channel area but given the reputation for fast and big tidal differences I would be very careful fishing that area.
I have fished Sand Point at Western a few times.The tide was a 13 mtr one.I think I had about 8oz of lead to try and hold bottom.Its one place I wouldnt even think of taking a Kayak.It would be like trying to Anchor up between Hurst castle and the Island,or even Swanage race :blink:

zzippy2.gif

I have fished in many parts of the channel in both charter and small boats. Yes there can be very strong tides but on neaps it should be possible to fish from a yak. The average depth of the channel is relitevly shallow with vast areas of sand and mud banks which make holding anchor feasable.

A 1.5kg anchor with 3 metre's of chain and 10ft of 10mm sinking warp then the usual 1.5 - 3mm anchor line would be fine in most situations.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I