Can anyone help

carperpops

Hi all,

Can anyone help please?

I am fishing an 8.5 acre lake in gloucestershire, it is heavily fished in summer months but there have been some nice fish caught, at least 5 thirty's and quite a few 20's.

I am not going out to catch big fish but if one comes along all the better. I have been fishing this water since june this year every weekend, sat morning till sun afternoon.

and so far have caught 1 tench.

I have spent several afternoon's with a feature finder in different swim's finding depth's clear patches etc, etc.

But to no avail, I have blanked every session and cant understand why.

TACKLE: I am using 15lb braid mainline atached to 25lb leadcore leader,fox safety rig, to a 6inch hooklink (suffix stealth) size 4 hook's 14mm boilie's (homemade) pva bag filled with pellet & broken boilie's fished over hemp & pellet's. (fishing pop up's & bottom bait's)

BAIT: 3oz c.l.o., 20z semolina, 3oz Soya Flour, 2oz Vitamealo, 2oz 90 mesh Rennet Casein, 2oz 90 mesh Acid Casein, 1oz Whey Protein Conc, 1oz Egg Albumen, 1 teaspoon ground cloves, 30ml sunflower oil,

15 ml salmon oil, 15ml liquid mollasses, 5ml liquid betaine, 1 drop gerainium oil, 7 eggs.

so i cant understand why i am blanking all the time.

can anyone help please?

phil

Have you actually fished where the fish are ? You need to locate them by watching for signs of fish activity, jumping, fizzing etc. Forget the rigs and bait, the simple fact is if the fish aren't where you're fishing you won't catch them. Unfortunately winter is generally a far harder time to spot the fish but they will show themselves somehow.

Rob

Enough different flavours in that bait to put any fish off eating it :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

buy ya self a bag of ready made boilies from a tackle shop, something like the source or spicy shrimp and prawn, possibly scale your hook down to a size 8 or 6, 4's are possibly abit large for a 14mm boilie. Then you can be confident in your bait and rigs. As the others say the most important part then is to find the fish. Once youv found a swim/swims with carp present, use your water knowledge and feed to the clear spots and features youv found and sit back and wait.

All the best.

Edited by steve17

steve.

Have you actually fished where the fish are ? You need to locate them by watching for signs of fish activity, jumping, fizzing etc. Forget the rigs and bait, the simple fact is if the fish aren't where you're fishing you won't catch them. Unfortunately winter is generally a far harder time to spot the fish but they will show themselves somehow.

Rob

Hi Rob,

yes i have walked all around the water and climbed tree's to locate the fish.

i have put my hook bait's out and wathced as fish swim over the bait's and igrore them.

buy ya self a bag of ready made boilies from a tackle shop, something like the source or spicy shrimp and prawn, possibly scale your hook down to a size 8 or 6, 4's are possibly abit large for a 14mm boilie. Then you can be confident in your bait and rigs. As the others say the most important part then is to find the fish. Once youv found a swim/swims with carp present, use your water knowledge and feed to the clear spots and features youv found and sit back and wait.

All the best.

Hi,

Thanks for that will try smaller hooks/

In addition to suggestions already made;

If you have actually watched them swimming over your baits and ignoring them, then there is obviously a problem with the bait or presentation, in the first instance, it could also be that they are ultra shy carp.

I would have a play about with a few different baiting strategies. If you want to stick to boilies I would go for a fresh rolled bait rather than a ready made, and would try a few different tactics – tight baiting with minimal freebies, or scattered and liberal baiting over a wider area, or stringers, bags, etc. From what you have said I get the feeling the fish may be clued up so I would tend to stay away from PVA bags as I have noticed fish on a number of waters steer well clear of very neat little piles of bait.

I would also explore other baits - naturals for certain if they are allowed – I’ve yet to find a fish that won’t have its interest aroused by a worm, a few grains of corn, or some hemp, when offered in the right way. Carp are very inquisitive creatures, and often if you offer something different from the crowds, in a way or place that they are not used to seeing it, you stand a much better chance of success. Aside from the fact that every boilie may have different ingredients, they all remain small round balls that most carp have already been caught on before – have you tried making your baits small squares or odd shapes – I’ve had results on this in the past when targeting shy-feeders.

It sounds like you have a few good vantage points where you have spotted the fish so I would do some testing and leave the rods at home. Take a few different baits, apply a bit using different techniques, and see what they do. If they ignore neat patches, stay away from PVA bags, etc. If they get their heads down over a carpet of hemp or corn, then try a grain of corn or just a single boilie fished over the top. If they respond to a liberal scattering of bait then use a single boilie over catapulted bait. If they mop up a light scattering of maggots, then try a maggot ring – you get the idea.

In the same way, by observing what they do when there are no rigs in place, you can often work out where the problem lies. If they still ignore everything you do, then it’s likely that the lake is either high in natural food so they don’t have to take the chance on introduced bait as often, or it may just be that they are clued-up fish.

If they get their heads down straight away, then you know it’s something to do with your set up. As has been mentioned, I would refine gear a little, rarely do I fish hooks bigger then a size 8, and they are more than enough to land carp of such sizes. Also, try doing away with the leadcore for a while; see if this helps, with 15lb line you should have no problems casting, etc. Also, try experimenting with different rig lengths and types – try one of four inches or one a bit longer – I have most success on rigs of nine or ten inches. Try a fluro hooklink instead of braid – again see how they react and alter your tactics accordingly. Have a think about line lay also – are you back-leading, slack lining, etc, - if you think something is spooking the carp – try and observe different techniques to see what happens.

If they feed over spots with no rig, but then ignore the spots once a rig is back on them, then I would say they are clued-up. The way I usually get around this is by fishing spots where they are not used to finding bait or getting caught. Supposing everybody puts a bait on the same spot on the most popular swim, the fish will soon become conditioned to the danger of investigating bait in this area, which could be one reason why they have ignored your offerings thus far.

You’ve done some feature finding which is great, so I would have a go at baiting a few spots that others might ignore. Try and apply some bait a few times a week in a spot they are not used to getting caught from and they will soon respond – I have used this method time and time again on pressured waters, but the key is to bait areas that others won’t fish.

Hope this helps…

J

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!