Kinetic "MICKAK" Fly Rods

Tedster

Have been looking for a new fly rod. Took a look on ebay and saw these rods. There are thousands of them. All supposed to be £299.00 but going for a lot less. Has anyone heard of them or used them. I'm tempted to make a bid - but what sounds too good to be true usually is.

I have seen them myself.No idea at all what they are like.As with a lot of gear,the rrp does not mean an awfull lot.

Depends on what sort of rod-ie action you are after and overall cost.Again,certainly with ebay,there are bargains to be had(i have had my share) but also looking around the online shops can result in a cheaper deal.

Fishtec is worth a look,mostly airflo rods.They often have a clear out with hefty discounts.I got an airflo rod last year for peanuts,cosmetic seconds,but rod was fine.

Don't take any notice of the so called recommended price. It is a nasty cheap chinese rod. You get what you pay for. Some chinese rods are excellent, this one is not (a friend of mine bought one :( )

A cosmetic second airflo would be a better proposition

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I thought it would be too good to be true. My family are asking what I want for Christmas. Havent been fly fishing for ages so thought they could get me a rod. Hence the reason for looking around. You are right. The only way to get what you want is to find it in a shop so you can check the action - then if you can find it cheaper elsewhere all the better.

I thought it would be too good to be true. My family are asking what I want for Christmas. Havent been fly fishing for ages so thought they could get me a rod. Hence the reason for looking around. You are right. The only way to get what you want is to find it in a shop so you can check the action - then if you can find it cheaper elsewhere all the better.

Don't discount Shakespeare, they may not be trendy but they make some good stuff at good prices.

Don't know if Mike has any of these left but these are excellent value

http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Tedster

Have a look at my post http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...c=69422&hl=

Angling classics do some nice rods that will not break the bank, what sort of fly fishing do you require the rod for by the way?

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Just to add to the above.Beware on ebay of 'named makes' at ridiculous prices,there were a few scams going on.

as stateted previously,you really need to know what action you want-ie fast,mid to tip,length etc etc and what you will be using it for generally and your price range,Narrow it down and go from there.Try your local shop-if they do fly gear,you can then actually handle various rods and of course you won't pay post and packing,which can sometimes make a cheaper purchase become 'not cheap' :o:D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, just to say my piece, i bought one of these Mickak rods and was so impressed i got 5 of my fishing mates to buy one too! There are far too many "expensive" rods on the market that are over priced. These rods seem to be absolutely fantastic value for money as far as iam concerned. I would strongly recommend them (even my fly fishing instructor thought it was a great buy!) Any how, still people will want to go for the expensive "designer" labels. Each to their own i suppose. Anyhow, to summarise, my experiece of this rod was superb. Comes highly recommended!!

• 10 months later...
Hi, just to say my piece, i bought one of these Mickak rods and was so impressed i got 5 of my fishing mates to buy one too! There are far too many "expensive" rods on the market that are over priced. These rods seem to be absolutely fantastic value for money as far as iam concerned. I would strongly recommend them (even my fly fishing instructor thought it was a great buy!) Any how, still people will want to go for the expensive "designer" labels. Each to their own i suppose. Anyhow, to summarise, my experiece of this rod was superb. Comes highly recommended!!

Hi everyone

I though Id add my two penneth to this as well. I stupidly hit "buy it now" on ePay before doing any research on these rods and finding this thread. It was only after Id paid for it and it was en route I started to think! However, Ive been VERY pleasantly surprised. Ive had the rod (9ft6 #7/8) for 6 weeks now and Ive used it at least 12 or 14 times and its a cracker. Looks good in matt green, reasonable quality finishings and it throws out a wet cell #7 intermediate like a good un. So musch so that Im looking for another one now of a different rating. Id defiantely risk another £20 on one of these. FWIW, I also use a Sage FLi 10 ft #6 and I cant honestly tell much of a difference. BTW I have no connection with the firm that makes these or the guy who sells them on ePay. Justa decent rod and an absolute bargain price.

T