Anybody run Windows Server 2003?

Emz

I've got this really annoying problem, after A LOT of buggering about it has boiled down to the filename.

I can ftp a file to my webspace fine, but when I try to ftp the same file to a FTP Server running on Windows 2003 it rejects it. If I was to rename the filename (to something smaller) it would accept it!! grrr

Is there a silly setting somewhere within Windows Server 2003 that rejects filenames longer than xxxx characters?? :wallbash::(

Edited by Emz

- Emz

Find out who you live by - www.frappr.com/anfriendsmap

Check out Crystal's New Website! :)

Don't forget to sign her guestbook :D

Hi Emz

Windows does not allow the following chars in filenames.

? [ ] / \ = + < > : ; " ,

You can also not use the names of files that are reserved for ports or devices

eg

LPT1 - LPT9

COM1 - COM9

NUL

CON

PRN

Avoid filenames that end in a . or a SPACE character too.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Hi Emz

Windows does not allow the following chars in filenames.

? [ ] / \ = + < > : ; " ,

You can also not use the names of files that are reserved for ports or devices

eg

LPT1 - LPT9

COM1 - COM9

NUL

CON

PRN

Avoid filenames that end in a . or a SPACE character too.

Cheers for the heads up. It's been that long since I've used windows that I've forgotten :D

- Emz

Cheers for the heads up. It's been that long since I've used windows that I've forgotten :D

Emz

Have you had a look at vmware? The basic server for both windows and linux are free. It will enable you to run windows, dos or even another linux distro under linux or windows.

Go check out http://www.vmware.com/products/free_virtualization.html

and

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances

Rgds

Cory

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Thats exactly what I use to run Dreamweaver & Adobe :yeah::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Awesome, it's great for testing too!! :) Only annoying thing is that it's a bugger to install (FC runs an unsupported kernel so I have to re-build it). Been debating for a while whether I should switch to Ubuntu :rolleyes::headhurt:

Edited by Emz

- Emz

Thats exactly what I use to run Dreamweaver & Adobe :yeah::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Awesome, it's great for testing too!! :) Only annoying thing is that it's a bugger to install (FC runs an unsupported kernel so I have to re-build it). Been debating for a while whether I should switch to Ubuntu :rolleyes::headhurt:

Excellent, I see I am talking to the converted :clap:. This must be the first time I have met a girl who knows how to build a kernel :thumbs:. This is why I asked before how 'chunky' your PC was.

I must confess I run XP on my machine, mostly because the last time I installed linux on my lappy I could not get my wlan card, my firewire hard drives or my bluetooth dongle to work, so I gave up and re-installed windows.

What version of FC do you run BTW? Have you looked at the Gentoo distro?

Edited by corydoras

Excellent, I see I am talking to the converted :clap: . This must be the first time I have met a girl who knows how to build a kernel :thumbs: . This is why I asked before how 'chunky' your PC was.

I must confess I run XP on my machine, mostly because the last time I installed linux on my lappy I could not get my wlan card, my firewire hard drives or my bluetooth dongle to work, so I gave up and re-installed windows.

What version of FC do you run BTW? Have you looked at the Gentoo distro?

:D

By all means I still consider myself a noob, you can never know everything :thumbs: Running FC5, reluctant to upgrade to FC6 just yet.. But like i've said, I'm debating whether to upgrade to FC6 or switch to unbuntu. Nope, not looked into Gentoo.

http://distrowatch.com/ Ubuntu appear to be the top linux distro atm but at the end of the day, ultimately it's up to ones preferences / taste.

What wireless card do you have? I had no trouble installing mine. I have an atheros card. I simply installed madwifi drivers - works perfectly.

With the dongle, I did have a bluetooth script that enabled you to connect to bluetooth devices. I can't get access to it right now as the power supply for my ext hdd has gone bust :rolleyes: I'll see if I can source it on the net again.

I still have windows on this laptop (triple booted) but that's only used for GPS navigation. I've yet to find a proggy on linux that works as good as AutoRoute.

- Emz