Thanks from Charles Rangeley-W? Accidental Angler TV

accidental

I know your forum isn't technically "feedback" but many thanks to everyone for all the positive comments and thanks also for the positively meant critical comments.

I have no idea if I'll get a chance to do more shows with the BBC, but if I do all your comments will be useful.

A few of you made the point that the BBC is never going to make a through and through angling show for a prime evening slot on BBC2. This is true, I'm sure. This format – which is new – was an attempt to bring in people, landscape, culture, history, all centred around the wonderful fish that are the reason for the journey – whether that's London or Bhutan.

The idea was to create something that would appeal to a wider audience – and of course bring the wonders of fishing to a wider audience.

Loads of people liked the mellow pace of the mahseer episode – though obviously some didn't. Noddy Holder on Radio 2 last night said the show went a long way to explaining the fascination and compulsion of fishing. He doesn't fish. Found it boring as an idea. Now he's interested. That's a result. The show got Pick of the Day in every weekend paper I read and a great review in the Times on Monday. I did Midweek on Radio 4 on Wednesday and a load of BBC regional radio shows. Though each interview tended to start with the "I always thought fishing was dull" premise, none of them ended like that. All of that exposure was really positive, and has to be good for the sport. I doubt we'd have got it with a hardcore fishing programme.

Comparisons with the brilliant Passion For Angling are always going to be hard to live up to. But this is a new format, so to the doubters I'd say please give it time.

I have to agree that I am definitely not the consummate TV presenter. I never pretended to be. I'm a writer. One thing I'd decided at the outset was to be myself, and not to try the hyped up style that I personally find a little grating sometimes. I wanted my style to be "look at and enjoy what I'm looking at" not "look at me". But it is very tricky "relating" to a camera. I think (hope) I got better as the filming went on.

For the too observant among you, you might find the following interesting: I caught two mahseer, one of 25 lbs, one of 30 (though Saad reckoned 35): hence the writing on the jeep. The cameraman was ill in hospital with de-hydration and sun-stroke on that day. The director stood in filming the second fish, though the crew were downstream when it was hooked. It is very tricky being in the right place at the right time, all the time! I'm sorry I seemed too unexcited for some. I was simply in awe of this wonderful fish, and felt a quiet tone would show it due respect.

Anyway, cheers again for all the support and favourable comments. I hope you like the rest of the shows.

Charles R-W

PS One last small point in answer to one well meant criticism: I don't use unhooking mats. If I'm releasing a fish I like to keep it in the water as much as I can. In fact I had a gentle hold on that little mahseer – even though it was wriggling – and I kept it in the water.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a show that's had good and bad feedback. Some expected a true out-and-out angling show I guess.

For myself, let me take the opportunity to say I thought it was a fantastic show. And the Indian scenery was quite spectacular.

You might be interested in what my friend wrote (in other forum):

"Nice to see Mr Van Ingen is still alive. Wonderful old boy. I visited

him at his home once and got a tour of his old taxidermy factory. He

was one of the POW soldiers who built 'that' bridge over the river Kwai

- loads of fascinating stories, he used to catch turtles in the river

and smuggle them back into the POW camp under his shirt to feed the

sick guys; death sentence if caught!

He gave me a couple of scales from his brother's big mahseer which I

treasure."

Glenn

I know your forum isn't technically "feedback" but many thanks to everyone for all the positive comments and thanks also for the positively meant critical comments.

I have no idea if I'll get a chance to do more shows with the BBC, but if I do all your comments will be useful.

A few of you made the point that the BBC is never going to make a through and through angling show for a prime evening slot on BBC2. This is true, I'm sure. This format – which is new – was an attempt to bring in people, landscape, culture, history, all centred around the wonderful fish that are the reason for the journey – whether that's London or Bhutan.

The idea was to create something that would appeal to a wider audience – and of course bring the wonders of fishing to a wider audience.

Loads of people liked the mellow pace of the mahseer episode – though obviously some didn't. Noddy Holder on Radio 2 last night said the show went a long way to explaining the fascination and compulsion of fishing. He doesn't fish. Found it boring as an idea. Now he's interested. That's a result. The show got Pick of the Day in every weekend paper I read and a great review in the Times on Monday. I did Midweek on Radio 4 on Wednesday and a load of BBC regional radio shows. Though each interview tended to start with the "I always thought fishing was dull" premise, none of them ended like that. All of that exposure was really positive, and has to be good for the sport. I doubt we'd have got it with a hardcore fishing programme.

Comparisons with the brilliant Passion For Angling are always going to be hard to live up to. But this is a new format, so to the doubters I'd say please give it time.

I have to agree that I am definitely not the consummate TV presenter. I never pretended to be. I'm a writer. One thing I'd decided at the outset was to be myself, and not to try the hyped up style that I personally find a little grating sometimes. I wanted my style to be "look at and enjoy what I'm looking at" not "look at me". But it is very tricky "relating" to a camera. I think (hope) I got better as the filming went on.

For the too observant among you, you might find the following interesting: I caught two mahseer, one of 25 lbs, one of 30 (though Saad reckoned 35): hence the writing on the jeep. The cameraman was ill in hospital with de-hydration and sun-stroke on that day. The director stood in filming the second fish, though the crew were downstream when it was hooked. It is very tricky being in the right place at the right time, all the time! I'm sorry I seemed too unexcited for some. I was simply in awe of this wonderful fish, and felt a quiet tone would show it due respect.

Anyway, cheers again for all the support and favourable comments. I hope you like the rest of the shows.

Charles R-W

PS One last small point in answer to one well meant criticism: I don't use unhooking mats. If I'm releasing a fish I like to keep it in the water as much as I can. In fact I had a gentle hold on that little mahseer – even though it was wriggling – and I kept it in the water.

Only one thing to say myself. "Credit where credit is due!!!" Oh that and THANK YOU!!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Thanks for coming on and giving us your take on things Charles, I did enjoy the show, and one of the main reasons I did was that it had the high production values of a BBC network show rather than the route taken by most of the current angling shows, substituting an obsession with rigs, baits and crappy dialogue for well composed shots, characters with some depth and an interesting journey.

What you really need though is a soundman who can fish, and that's where I come in! I'm sure the rest of the series is in the can, but I'm sure you'll get recommissioned, so be sure to get in touch.

Jon

Welcome to AnglersNet Charles, and well done with the show. Enjoyed the first one and definitely looking forward to the rest of the series :)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Nice one Charles. You can't please everyone all the time, especially anglers! Oh what a fickle bunch we are.

As I've stated previously, I enjoyed it and look forward to the rest of the series. I just had couple of minor gripes but in hindsight I was just being ultra-critical. And petty, frankly.

Good on you for coming on here and giving your views.

Ironically, the only people who seem to have criticised the programme are anglers. Like you say, journalists and non-angling viewers seem to be unanimous in praise. Perhaps that says more about us anglers (high expectations, impossible to please, moody gits etc!) than the programme itself.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

Charles, as one of your sternest critics, I must thank you for taking the time to answer. I did notice the extra number on the jeep :)

What a shame about your cameraman, and with the crew downriver you probably did quite well to get the shots that you did.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Well I reckon thats really good that youve taken the time to read reviews/opinions on your programme (both good and bad) Charles.I missed it last week but will make a point of watching it this Sunday.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Charles,

explaining the fascination and compulsion of fishing
I thought you did that extremely well. I thought it was beautifully filmed, very interesting and I loved it. It caught the country, the people and the location very well. As a complete newcomer to angling, I was looking forward to it, and it didn't disappoint. I can't wait for the next one.

not the consummate TV presenter

I thought your quiet, unassuming style was a refreshing change from the usual know-it-all type of presenters. You conveyed the atmosphere and the anticipation very well.

Ignore the criticisms from the people who felt you didn't go into enough detail. If they want technique/tactics etc, they should buy themeselves a "How to" video. Just what did they expect from mainstream TV at peak time on a Sunday evening?

Well done to you, and the BBC for giving us a great programme which hopefully will inspire more to take up this great sport. Let's hope there's more to come.

Janet

PS. Let's have everyone who enjoyed it contact the BBC and let them know what you think!

I'm a fan too. Great first programme!

When does the book come out? And the BBC DVDs of the series?

Do come back on here and let us know!

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.