New Barbel Record

rooney888

It is a shame but lets hope there will not be a national outpouring of both grief and mirth, and some very funny jokes, as happened when 'Mary' the carp pegged it. I see its death has been blamed on otters, maybe an otter found a knackered barbel a tempting target?

Edited by Peter Waller

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see its death has been blamed on otters, maybe an otter found a knackered barbel a tempting target?

They don't have to be knackered unfortunately Peter, Otters are quite capable of dealing with fit Barbel and they have done just that on the D.Stour.

I can't see why they were ever re-introduced when the rivers are so obviously not capable of supporting them in the long term. Were that different I would be quite happy to see them.

This cracked me up

If in fact an otter those who introduce these creatures have got a lot to answer to.

Otters should be there as should herons and kingfishers. Had it been a cormerant, I might have had some sympathy.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

But are we sure it was an otter? after all the last bloke who caught it could have taken a chunk out of it?.......... well he was obviously hungry...............................................as all the reports said he had gone 30 days without a bite!

Got to go now as the Barbel police are at the door.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The harsh reality is that the fish is dead, it has died, it is no more. Its found on the bank, dead, partially eaten, as nature intended. So, who is to blame? Maybe it was an otter who found an easy meal? Could well be, I suppose. Might also be a fox. I get dead fish at the end of my garden, fish that I later find hidden by foxes in unlikely places. I have watched a fox drag the remains of a large pike from off my slipway. Just because the barbel has been partially eaten doesn't mean that it was killed by an otter. Why don't we face up to the obvious, its died of old age and angling pressure. Okay, so I can't prove it, but then neither can those who blame the otter.

I've fished a lot of the ouse above and below adams mill (but never adams mill itself)

I have never ever in 20 yrs heard of or seen an otter in the ouse. Not saying there isnt

but seems strange some fish turns up dead and we want to blame an otter. A lot of anglers wouldnt know an otter if it bit them on the arse though. Realistic possibilies that i havnt seen mentioned are mink.

But i suspect old age and every thing from a fox to rats having a nibble once they got to it.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

http://www.anglingtimes.co.uk/nav?page=ang...esource=5872446

Now that says the fish was killed by mink, but the description of the corpse is more consistent with death by old age or repetitive recapture stress, followed by scavenging by rats.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

The problem with the death is that it will get a load of people jumping the gun. Any otter, mink, cormorant or kingfisher will be fair game from now on.

At the end of the day, nature has got on fine without us interfering. If anything, humans catching fish for pleasure is not a natural practice, so fisherman can't really get angry about a predator catching and eating it's prey.