The mecca of carp fishing

Anderoo

To me the idea of a carp mecca means somewhere secret, unlikely, mysterious, holding monster fish that are virtually impossible to tempt...it strikes me that in the current angling climate, with carp fishing now the norm and everyone ultra clued up over rigs and baits (ie the 'magic' of carp fishing has long since disappeared), the mecca sticks at the Redmire of the past. Sure, other waters can give you the chance of bigger carp, but as Den and Budgie say if you're fishing in the glare and smell of a factory can it really be a 'mecca'? Surely there needs to be some beauty?

I'd really like the mecca to switch from a lake to a river, because rivers are by nature (for the most part!) beautiful, undiscovered, mysterious...but as soon as a huge river carp is known about I bet it's not long before it manages to make its way into a lake somewhere!

My own personal mecca is a little gravel pit in Norfolk where a few old boys fished for roach and skimmers, but unknown to anyone else (as far as I know, any way) there were several big carp that lived there, completely untouched, always hiding away in the dense snags in little forgotten corners. I managed to tempt a few of them on crust and floatfished luncheon meat, and caught some simply awesome carp to 22lb, before other people cottened on. A few seasons later the carp were netted and moved to another club lake and my little pit was restocked with hundreds of small carp and tench. So, my own mecca is now a commercial-style bagging water :(

Maybe the era of meccas has passed and they can only exist in the past?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music