.rar files

Peter Sharpe

I have downloaded six vintage John Peel broadcasts from the BBC website, but can't find any way of opening or playing the damned things. http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/inthearc.../johnpeel.shtml

Windows Media PLayer doesn't recognise the filetype, so I downloaded WinRAR.

So what does WinRAR actually do? I downloaded the zip file, then unzipped it. It installed itself, so now what? It has supposedly associated rar files with itself, but Medial Player still comes up. WinRAR itself soesn't seem to do anything, it's just a collection of files in a folder. Confused :wallbash:

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

WinRAR decompresses the files you've down loaded, enabling you to view the decompressed files on Windows Media PLayer :thumbs:

Oops, I'm a plonker. The john Peel programmes are RAM files. Okay, next question... how the hell do I play ram files?

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Thanks John, it's sorted now. I don't know why, but I've always had this possibly irrational dislike of both RealPlayer and Quicktime Player. I don't know how many times I've installed and uninstalled them. Anyway, it's nice to hear Peel again - it's just a pity my present soundcard isn't sophisticated enough to eable me to record the programmes.

there are simple programs to record whats currently playing on your pc, unfortunately if your recording at the same time as you are using it will record things like browser click sounds and if you get a popup with the big fud noise. i think CDex does this

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Thanks John, it's sorted now. I don't know why, but I've always had this possibly irrational dislike of both RealPlayer and Quicktime Player. I don't know how many times I've installed and uninstalled them. Anyway, it's nice to hear Peel again - it's just a pity my present soundcard isn't sophisticated enough to eable me to record the programmes.

There's nothing irrational about disliking RealPlayer. I must have installed it four times to play BBC stuff and every single time it has annoyed me so much I've taken it off again!