Great priced braid for Piking

Dick Dastardly

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bought it or have you received it already? I like the advert info on that line but would love to hear from someone who has actually tried it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I have a bid up to £21 on another braid deal at the moment...now if someone would outbid me .....

As a matter of interest budgie, do you use a lighter hook-link than the 50lb braid? It seems a bit strong if you need to break off.

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

Greg there is absolutely NO situation in piking that I can think of where I would want to break off mate!

The idea of the braid being so strong (in fact no thats not quite correcet! the reason the breaking strain is so high is that I select my braid by diameter not breaking strain.This avoids the common problem of braids so called poor abraision resistance.The most commonly used mono's for piking being between 12 and 15lbs which have diameters usually of betwee 0.32 and 0.35mm.It just so happens that most braids of similar diameter will have breaking strains of between 50 and 80lb) I should say an aditional benifit of the braids high breaking dtrain is that you can easily with a direct pull straighten hooks out of any snags.This means you loose very few lures (in fact Ive not lost a sigle one since swopping to braid over 15 years ago) and far more importantly you dont leave a bait with trebles in the water.

It could be argued that all this goes out of the window if you snag the braid itself but in reality with the high breaking strains you can actually pull most snags out!

Does that explain it Greg?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I have use this Spiderwire Stealth Braid especailly in the 50lb bracket for the last two season and never loss a fish yet (and touch wood!)

I can recommend it to anyone.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Budgie,

Yes, but I fish Blessington Reservoir which has complete stone walls dotted around it, tree stumps submerged etc. We get snagged quite often.....and they don't pull out :lol: I think I'd better stick to a lighter bs.

Edited by greg long

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

Budgie,

Yes, but I fish Blessington Reservoir which has complete stone walls dotted around it, tree stumps submerged etc. We get snagged quite often.....and they don't pull out :lol: I think I'd better stick to a lighter bs.

Greg absolutely no excuse for leaving the water full of tackle, try a slightly finer hook that you can straighten the hooks out when pulling with braid.

I just dont understand whats happening Greg are you snagging the line every time then? Doesnt matter what you snag the hooks in you should be able to straighten them.Obviously you cant do it with the rod (er in fact you obviously wouldnt want to!) but by getting over the snag (if in a boat) or even with a snag up from the bank and pulling direct you will straighten your hooks or snap your wire.Obviously better to straighten the wire for the reasons allready given.

When pulling for a break dont ever wrap the braid around your hand or arm always use something.I carry an 18" piece of broom stick to do this both bank and boat.As there is no stretch its no where near as difficult as pulling on mono.

As for tree stumps you want to try the reservoir I fish! indeed the whole reason behind my thinking on this subject!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

would that spiderwire be ok for spinning ??

to late i've bought it

Edited by les middy

Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place.

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with a light on.