Wingham Fish-In Auction

Rusty

Here's the list of the donated items so far. To keep everything together I'll add to this post if anyone would like to contribute further items.

Anyone is welcome to bid, not just those attending the fish-in.

You're welcome to arrange for someone who's coming to the fish-in to phone you a few minutes before bidding on an item starts. The auction will be after the BBQ on Sunday so will probably start at about 2.30. However do bear in mind that, with rain forecast on Sunday, we may bring the time forward or put it back. We also of course can't guarantee mobile reception.

Alternatively you can leave me a maximum bid by e-mailing me via the Wingham Fisheries web site (link below in my signature or use Google). I'll e-mail you back with confirmation, but bear in mind that if it's after 9.30am on Sunday I may not get your bid. I won't divulge such bids to anyone else. If there's more than 1 bid of this type I'll start the bidding at just over the 2nd highest bid I've been left. Otherwise I'll start the bidding at the reserve price if there is one, or if not at what I consider a fair minimum price. If the latter isn't met I'll lower the price until I get a bid.

Lot 1 Perfect condition boxed ABU 706 closed face reel, the spare spools and instructions are with it. Reserve £25 (Rusty)

Lot 2 Signed copy of the Osprey Specimen Group and Friends Book (Bob H)

Lot 3 Brand new hardback copy of "Tinca Tinca", written by the Tenchfishers. There are several chapters by those who've fished at Wingham. Signed by contributor Steve Campbell who wrote one of the chapters about Wingham (Wyeknot)

Lot 4 9'6" 6/7# Airflo Tec-MT fly rod and a cassette reel with suitable fly line (Tony and Sue Urwin)

Lot 5 Very good condition John Wilson avon quiver later type (Tincatinca)

Lot 6 Virtually unused Abu Ambassadeur Elite 18 foot float rod which is in 4 sections (Tincatinca)

Lot 7 Tiny fly reel, never been used. Reserve £10 (Anderoo)

Lot 8 Collection of antique lures in cigar box. £15 reserve (Vagabond)

Lot 9 "In Search of Big Fish" autographed by the author, (the late Frank Guttfield). In fair condition but the dust jacket is a bit tatty. 6 copies on Amazon (unsigned) at prices from £30 (no wrapper) to £117 !!!
Reserve £25. (Vagabond)

Lot 10 Brand new Garbolino 3 piece telescopic landing net pole (estimate £8 to £12) (Steve Burke)

Lot 11 A first edition of Quest for Barbel by Tony Miles and Trefor West (estimate £15 to £25) (Steve Burke)

Lot 12 2 pike fishing books (estimate £4 to £6) (Steve Burke)

How to Catch Bigger Pike from Rivers, Lochs and Lakes by Paul Gustafson. 1st edition.

Spinning and Plug Fishing by Barrie Rickards and Ken Whitehead.

Lot 13 A selection of 5 coarse and match fishing books (estimate £4 to £6) (Steve Burke)

John Wilson's 1001 Top Angling Tips (a wealth of ideas!)

Freshwater Fish and How to Catch Them by Billy Lane and Colin Graham

Match fishing to Win by Billy Lane and Colin Graham

Match Fishing with the Experts by John Carding

Match Angling edited by John Carding

Lot 14 Grayling, the Fourth Game Fish by Ronald Broughton (estimate £8 to £12) (Steve Burke)

Lot 15 A selection of 8 fly-tying books (estimate £20 to £30) (Steve Burke)

The Handbook of Fly Tying by Peter Gathercole

Fluorescent Flies by Joseph Keen

The Complete Colour Guide to Fly-Tying by Kevin Hyatt

The Fly Tyer's Manual by Mike Dawes

Flytying Techniques by Jacqueline Wakeford

Fifty Popular Flies and How to Tie Them by Tom Stewart

Hair and Fur in Fly Dressing by Thomas Clegg

John Veniard's Fly Dressing Guide

Lot 16 The Best of Chevin edited by Bruce Vaughan and myself that I'll be pleased to sign (Steve Burke)

This is a selection of the best articles over the years from Chevin, the magazine of the Chub Study Group. With top chub anglers contributing you can't fail to learn from it. This is very rare as we didn't have the money to publish many copies (I paid for it myself!) I think in the end there were only 100. (estimate £20 to £30).

Lot 17 2 John Bailey books (Tony Urwin)

In Visible Waters, John Bailey with illustrations by Chris Turnbull. The dust cover has got a bit torn in places, so it has been laminated, library style.

In Wild Waters, John Bailey. Very good condition.

Payment either at the BBQ or within 7 days please. I'll contact any winners who don't attend. Results will be posted on this thread. Please let me know if you don't want your name divulged if you win.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I've got a couple of additional items:

In Visible Waters, John Bailey with illustrations by Chris Turnbull

In Wild Waters, John Bailey

I believe they are both now out of print.

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Thanks, Tony.

What condition are the books and the dustwrappers?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve

In Wild Waters is in very good condition, the other In Invisible Waters, the dust cover has got a bit torn in places, so it has been laminated, library stye.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

What a cracking auction! A total of £480 was raised! (£475 from bids that I added a fiver to make it easily divisible). Many thanks to all of those who contributed items or bid, even if it was only to push the prices up higher!

Here are the winning amounts and the winning bidders.

Lot 1 £25 (Ant78)

Lot 2 £25 (Dales)

Lot 3 £42 (Dales)

Lot 4 £70 (Wyeknot)

Lot 5 £30 (Tony Brooks)

Lot 6 £48 (Ant78)

Lot 7 £20 (Vagabond)

Lot 8 £32 (Sue Urwin)

Lot 9 £40 (Wyeknot)

Lot 10 £11 (KAYC)

Lot 11 £20 (Steve Walker)

Lot 12 £15 (Eddie Court)

Lot 13 £10 (ColinR)

Lot 14 £15 (Steve Walker)

Lot 15 £20 (James Champkin)

Lot 16 £40 (Steve Walker)

Lot 17 £15 (KAYC)

Edited by Steve Burke

Ah, someone else got lot 16, one of the other Steves perhaps? I have the barbel and grayling books. I really wanted the 18' float rod, but really didn't need it. That was a bargain but I had to cede.

I think that Steve King won Lot 16 - the Best of Chevin.

I have never been flyfishing but I couldn't resist Lot 4. Thanks to Sue Urwin (whose rod it was - Tony just paid for it so he said!). However, Tony has offered to take me to one of his waters and introduce me to the dark arts of fluff chucking.

My thanks also to Dave Park for donating Lot 9 - I shall enjoy reading that !

I'm glad that he auction was a success as the bailiffs deserve a fine reward for all the work they put in, not just for the Fish-In but all year round.

Thanks again to all who were there at the famous Peggy BBQ. Luverly grub!!

Corrected, cheers guys.

I wish club members would make the effort to thank me in my duty as a bailiff all i get are moans and litter to carry home ,even a christmas card from the club would be nice

I feel sorry for the bailiffs who dont live within walking distance they usually pay more for the privilege of a "free" permit in petrol than the members buying theirs ,when i used to take the honda 90 down there (three times a day i admit ,i was younger and more foolish) it was £2 a week (sounds low but it adds up) so in reality paying 25 quid more than the price of the permit then and ontop getting the grief doing the job ,bailiffs are mad!

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Sue won the vintage lures lot and has decided she wants to start a Devon Minnow collection, so I have had to cough up for some more lures she has won on auction on Ebay. Talk about starting something!

Tony