Favourite Pike Lures

Quest

Hi all agian, Started lure fishing on my lake this year, whereas before all my lure fishing has been on the river. So whats are the best lures to get started on? Or is there no real difference?

Also what are your favourite pike lures?

Thanks

Tight Lines

Quest.

Small or medium Salmo Slider. A really good lure that can be fished quite adequately on a regular spinning outfit.

slider.jpg

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

If you don’t want to invest in a heavyish jerkbait / multiplier outfit very few lures matches the flexibility and all year fish catching abilities of a Spring Dawg, 6” Replicant or a spinnerbait. All, which are lures that can be fished slow, fast, shallow or deep.

Yes, a Big S will catch you a few pike, but a relatively shallow diving plug it’s hardly the best choice going into the depths of winter.

I'm very much with Budgie and Vidar here. In particular, the depth you want to fish at is especially critical. For instance if the fish are at 20 feet you'll not catch much on a Big S (excellent though it is) that dives to only about 6 feet.

In fact, if I meet another angler who's caught, the first thing I ask him is "What depth?" Not all the fish willing to take a lure will be at the same depth, but very often there's a preferred depth on the day. It's really a question of playing the percentages.

In practice you'll therefore ideally need a wide selection of lures to fish different depths. If you fish just one or two similar depth waters you can of course get away with buying a whole lot less lures.

BTW, one thing I do is to put plugs that work at a similar depth in the same or adjoining compartments in my lure box. Finding out the depths that plugs in particular work at kills time on an otherwise slow day, and sometimes even throws up a fish or two!

Speed of retrieve is almost as important. As a very broad generalisation the closer the temperature to the ideal for the species then the faster the retrieve I'll start with. As I don't lure fish in really warm weather, in practice this means the lower the temperature the slower I'll retrieve. There are exceptions though, so don't hesitate to experiment if you fail to catch.

If I were forced to choose (God forbid!) just one type of lure for bank fishing though it would be a spoon. This is because you can fish spoons at a wide variety of different depths and speeds.

My favourite spoon of all is the Abu Atom in the largest 3½inch (90mm size). It's usually a little on the small size for big pike, but is great for the specimen stripies I've always an eye open for!

Quest, if you tell us more about your lake I'm sure we can come up with a few more pertinent ideas for you.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net