Pike Fishing

oneillbox

i use semi barbed snap tackle and am having lots of trouble keeping fish on the hook when ive struck, im setting the hooks wekk, holding the fish for about 10 seconds, then they are escaping.

i can only think its because of the semi barbed rigs i am using, im very tempted to go back to the fully barbed varieties...

Ive been using semi barbless trebles for all my bait fishing for nearly 20 years now.I can honestly say that I loose no more fish through using them.In fact I may go as far as to say I land more.This is down to the better penetration you get without a barb.

If you are loosing fish regularly then its simply down to you.That really is good news! as you can sort out what you are doing wrong.Ensuring the hooks are sharp has all ready been mentioned and really goes for all types of hook.

The most probable reasons are that you are either not setting the hooks or not playing the fish properly.I assume you know how to "strike" properly? ie wind down really fast untill you can feel the weight of the fish (not the rig) and then pull the hooks home with a deliberate side ways sweep of the rod. The other issue with striking could simply be down to the fact you are not timming it correctly.A lot of rubbish is spoken about instant striking.No good trying to set the hooks if they aint in the fish's mouth is it?

In my opinion due to the hard boney nature of a pikes mouth for one reason they are a species best played hard.Keep maximum pressure on them at all times to keep those hooks in.Most times I see the hooks drop out with pike the angler has eased off.

Try and get it sorted as moving back to fully barbed trebles for bait fishing is in my opinion a very backwards step.

If your still having problems and you can get yout arse down to Kent your more than welcome to have a day out with me so we can sort it.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Just a thought, but I had a lot of problems with missed runs or hooks not connecting properly. I put it down to sticking the hook very firmly into the wrist of the baits tail, in fact very firmly into the backbone. This gave very good security for casting but probably meant that the hooks were not pulling free of the bait and into the pike's mouth, so it swam around for a little while, holding the bait, and then let go. Could be that. The other thing that made a difference was changing from Mono to Braid, particularly when fishing at distance which is often the case on Scottish lochs. All that stretch in the mono meant that the hooks were hardly moving on the strike.

I am sure it has nothing to do with the barbless hooks.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Just a thought, but I had a lot of problems with missed runs or hooks not connecting properly.

Are you sure it's not perch? This sounds like perchy behaviour, especially if you're using lives.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Are you sure it's not perch? This sounds like perchy behaviour, especially if you're using lives.

Shouldn't think so, the baits were very dead mackeral most of the time, if they were Perch they were ******* big ones :lol:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I bet you're using hooks which are too small for the baits. 4s and 6s are a good general size for most baits in the 4-8" size.

As has been said, don't strike but wind down to the weight of the fish then bend the rod firmly into them and keep the pressure on. Many people seem to be afraid of putting a bend in their rod. I always think that the longer the fish is in the water and not my net the more chance there is of it getting off, so give it the butt and get it in!

Tim

i use size 6 hooks so the size is good, i dont pump the fish in, i keep a good tight bend in the rod.

im sure its a striking issue as the swim is well over-hung (much like myself !!) and had lateral trees and hawthorn snags, so im restricted in rod movement.

things got better today, took a 21lb 4oz beauty. dont know how to get the pic on here though, advice appreciated.

regards

ralph