Pike Fishing

oneillbox

Not sure a #6 is quite large enough.

Pictures - easiest way is to use Photobucket (or similar hosting site) for the photo and post a link.

Pb offers 3 options /w links automatically created when you upload a photo. This forum wants the bottom one where the link begins with [img

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

oneillbox - all i can think of is that you are not keeping the hooks securely in the pikes mouth by keep the line tight. I have always been taught that the line should be tight at all times when playing a fish. Otherwise they can get off!

I use semi barbed hooks and only put the barbed hook in the deadbait and i have never had any problems.

Again, as budgie says, this is a good thing as it can be rectified immediately!

The Clax Will Always Crack

One other though. Do you tie you baits onto the trace or just use the hooks to keep the bait on? I have heard of people blaming lost fish on the deadbait being used to lever the hooks out, which is why people like to hook the bait on as lightly as possible so it comes off when it's been taken.

Other wise, get a shorter rod or chop back some of the branches!

Tim

Could simply be that the ones which come off are small fish :)

I strike/pull in to the fish at the first indication, and some do come off or not get hooked, but very often I get to see or feel the fish before that happens, and they are nearly always small fish.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

A pike will often clamp down on a bait and hold on, even though the hooks are not 'set'.

After a while, the fish simply opens it's mouth and lets go.

At this point the hooks move across it's mouth and find a hold (or not!)

That scenario is much more common when using lures rather than bait, the difference being that the lure is clamped in the fishes mouth, and the hooks attached to the lure aren't moving.

With a bait though, any pressure on the line will transmit directly to the hooks, pulling the hooks out, or through, the bait and possibly finding a hold in the fish's jaw.

What can cause problems is hooks that aren't sharp enough to gain that initial hold, even hooks that are fresh out of the packet.

If drawn across your fingernail, the hooks should be sharp enough to dig in.

If they don't a few seconds work with a hook sharpener is needed, with the hooks often needing to be sharpened back to needle-sharp several times during a session.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

One other though. Do you tie you baits onto the trace or just use the hooks to keep the bait on? I have heard of people blaming lost fish on the deadbait being used to lever the hooks out, which is why people like to hook the bait on as lightly as possible so it comes off when it's been taken.

Other wise, get a shorter rod or chop back some of the branches!

i have had fish throw the baits and the hooks go with it! mainly when using mackarel baits or big heavy baits.

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

I have never subscribed to the theory that the hooks must come out of the bait on the strike! Ive never had any problems and I always bury the point in the bone on deads like mackeral etc.

What Leon says is quite right...and thats why I dont always "instant strike" if indeed there really is such a thing.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!