Fluff patterns

richardlawrence

I know it's early but I'm starting to think about having a go at fluff chucking for bass and mackie next summer. A bit of variety could be fun. I'm not woried about rods and reels, that's sorted.

What I'm interested in is what patterns and colours people have found successful.

Looking at Clouser's, small poppers and sand eel immitations at the moment.

Hi, I went big time with fly making for last season, What worked for me was the Deceiver pattern, I made a lot using lots of colours. But the pattern that took more fish by far on a clear summers day was a Leftys Deceiver with rattal and lots of yellow, The bass just love yellow. I use S/S hooks and buy material mainly from the USA. If you want any patterns please let me know. terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)

Macks will hit anything with a bit of silver in it...main thing though is to use an intermediate line...makes a HUGE difference. much more hook ups than with a floater..as for the bass..you aren't far wrong..im not an expert at catching them...but again a popper with an intermediate can be fab fun and deadly. chartreuse or white would be good bass colours

Clousers or deceivers for me, the deceiver is easier to cast. Pink & White did well for me last year. Have a look at the SWFF site they have a good section on fly tying with step by step instructions. I get most of my materials from Austen at UKSaltwaterflies.com. Also got the Lefty Kreh and Bob Clouser DVD, they invented the two flies so who better to show you how to tie them!

Clousers in various colours and Schminnows that's all I've need this season, sizes 2 - 6, obviously got a wallet full of deceivers and sandeel patterns plus some others, but never had any luck with them.

If your tying your own, then get in touch with Austen at saltwaterflies.com

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

chatreuse or pink and white clouser and keep it small and simple (sizes 2-6), mackeral will destroy a fly in no time as will pollack, so dont waste your hard earned cash on shop bought stuff. Tie your ownn, its much more satisfying and a darn site cheaper. My Clouser pattern consistes only of bucktail and the dumbell eyes, get really good quality hooks from Austen at uksaltwaterflies, as you can strip them off and use them again if your quick

OK prowler 13a Flame

www.ukbass.co.uk

Sea Anglers Conservation Network

Clousers and more clousers. Don't forget black versions to.

I caught quite a few mackeral on slim banger type flies (with 5/16" thick foam, wrapped with prismatic tape). But anything white/silver and small will work for macs.

JRT

yes black works very well if the sun is out, but some reason yellow works in most light conditions, As I said before tying one owns flies is best, there are a number of sites on line that show how to tie flies and very good they are to,

Buying from the USA does save a load of money, and they have materials that here in the UK are very expensive at this this time. At the moment I am tying patterns for next year and the total out lay using S/S hooks is around 35 pounds, for that I am looking to make 300 flies maybe 350. So much better then shop items.

I am planning to cut down the number of blue/silver pattens, and go for more yellow/green and a lot more with rattals inbuild. And no more crab look alikes. spending hours waiting for a take with thes things is not on, better for the waters of the states then then the waters that I fish.

terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)

Thanks for everyone's input. Some interesting ideas. It's interesting that the blue and white patterns haven't been mentioned much. Chart..... Yellow seems to be the way to go. Very similar to sandeel colour I guess.

Not much mention about poppers. Having had fun with Chug Bugs this summer I think I will definately try them for size.

Terry, which sites do you use in the staes for buying materials? I've bought plugs from the states in the past at good prices (e.g. Rapala Sliver £5 inc postage!!)

Rich.

Richard - Austen at www.uksaltwaterflies.co.uk is cheaper than the US by the time you pay postage - and he is at home!

You don't need to go to the trouble of having them sent. Get some of his DNA - he is the UK distributor and again is cheaper than the US for this retail. Also an excellent point of contact for advice, it is worth giving him your custom. Go and have a look at his site - features are excellent.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo