Allcock Filck-em & Speedia centrepins

eaglet

Hi Guys,

I've trawled the internet as best ' I ' can looking for info. on the Allcocks Flick-em Centrepin (couldn't find anything) and the Speedia Centrepin (I found an article on the Cemex site published 2004) Can anyone help with more upto date info/sites please?

Cheers Eaglet

Hi Guys,

I've trawled the internet as best ' I ' can looking for info. on the Allcocks Flick-em Centrepin (couldn't find anything) and the Speedia Centrepin (I found an article on the Cemex site published 2004) Can anyone help with more upto date info/sites please?

Cheers Eaglet

What is it you want to know? You aren't going to get much "up to date" information about reels that haven't been in manufacturer for over 40 years!!!! :lol:

Still, this forum has had plenty of discussion about pins in it's time - do some searches and you'll find plenty of info.

If you're interested in the history of pins, there are a couple of books but nothing really special. Depends what you want to find out.

JWYoungs who make a lot of the new pins available, also have some info on their older pins, available here:

http://www.jwyoungs.co.uk/

And if you've got plenty of time, then there is this monster-thread on a forum across the pond with plenty of pics of old and new reels:

http://www.questoutdoors.net/phpBB2/about172.html

i had the same problem with intrepid! hence i am now the knowledge.

i keep finding more models ,not made by intrepid (in their works) but having the intrepid logo on imports ,one received today informed me on its spare parts diagram it has 5 "brothers" i'm running out of walls :o

got to find 2 uncatalogued ones for the morritt versions ,a few for gladding (late imports just for a year) and a few for leeda,boxes galore missing though :(

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Hi Eaglet, I have two speedia centrepins, both greatly underused, what info are you looking for?

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

here is a bit on the Allcock Flick-em perhaps someone will have the relavent copy of waterlog and could photo copy or make a pdf for you ! .

i done some digging & here are some extracts from old FM posts on this very subject

" The first Flick-em reels were made by Homer of London in the 30's. The Allcock version followed soon after; it is listed in their 1940 catalogue although it may predate this as it is not announced as a new model. This is the one with the stud type ratchet button and white Xylonite handles.The later Allcock models were re-badged Rapidexes; Young's sold reels to several tackle firms who then put their own label on them. Thus the later Allcock Flick-em (with the lever check and crinkled paint finish) and the Rapidex are identical reels, as was one sold by Edgar Sealey "

a good many reels were made for allcocks (amoungst others) at the jw youngs factory,

" Prior to 1946, J.W.Young & Sons rarely displayed their own name on the reels they produced. Edward Young changed that when their range of post war reels were launched, ensuring that, apart from one or two exceptions, their name is displayed on each reel. Because of this reluctance to display their own name

there tends to be a misconception regarding the quality of the reels they produced. Reels such as the Allcock 'Aerial', the 'Duplex', the 'Simplex', the 'Perfection Flick-em', the 'Easicast' the 'Superb', the 'Helical and the 'Felton Crosswind', (plus many many more) were all made by J.W.Young & Sons."

Picked this up off the internet Mark so basically if its got J W Young on it, its post war "

there is a book on the history of J W Young called "Reels"written by Elwyn Attwood which apparently covers all of their reels from their conception.

this might also be of intrest : J.W. Young & Sons, A Century of the Art of Fishing Reel Making

i hope some of this is of help

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Good to see your still looking in Randy,hows the Steelhead fishing going?

For those who dont know Randy try looking up some of the threads where he shows pictures of the Steelheads he catchs on trotting gear.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hi Eaglet, I have two speedia centrepins, both greatly underused, what info are you looking for?

Hi Mate,

Sorry for late reply. I'm obviously trying to buy myself a decent ' pin' and I've seen many on the market (ebay) I was wondering what the speedia was like and what they're worth. I've just bought an Aventa Pro + spare spool for £72 not inc. p+p which is a good deal as long as it works as said. I would also like an older reel hence my query on the speedia. Any other advice/info?

Cheers Eaglet

Edited by eaglet

here is a bit on the Allcock Flick-em perhaps someone will have the relavent copy of waterlog and could photo copy or make a pdf for you ! .

i done some digging & here are some extracts from old FM posts on this very subject

" The first Flick-em reels were made by Homer of London in the 30's. The Allcock version followed soon after; it is listed in their 1940 catalogue although it may predate this as it is not announced as a new model. This is the one with the stud type ratchet button and white Xylonite handles.The later Allcock models were re-badged Rapidexes; Young's sold reels to several tackle firms who then put their own label on them. Thus the later Allcock Flick-em (with the lever check and crinkled paint finish) and the Rapidex are identical reels, as was one sold by Edgar Sealey "

a good many reels were made for allcocks (amoungst others) at the jw youngs factory,

" Prior to 1946, J.W.Young & Sons rarely displayed their own name on the reels they produced. Edward Young changed that when their range of post war reels were launched, ensuring that, apart from one or two exceptions, their name is displayed on each reel. Because of this reluctance to display their own name

there tends to be a misconception regarding the quality of the reels they produced. Reels such as the Allcock 'Aerial', the 'Duplex', the 'Simplex', the 'Perfection Flick-em', the 'Easicast' the 'Superb', the 'Helical and the 'Felton Crosswind', (plus many many more) were all made by J.W.Young & Sons."

Picked this up off the internet Mark so basically if its got J W Young on it, its post war "

there is a book on the history of J W Young called "Reels"written by Elwyn Attwood which apparently covers all of their reels from their conception.

this might also be of intrest : J.W. Young & Sons, A Century of the Art of Fishing Reel Making

i hope some of this is of help

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time out to reply. Very interesting.

Cheers Eaglet

What is it you want to know? You aren't going to get much "up to date" information about reels that haven't been in manufacturer for over 40 years!!!! :lol:

Still, this forum has had plenty of discussion about pins in it's time - do some searches and you'll find plenty of info.

If you're interested in the history of pins, there are a couple of books but nothing really special. Depends what you want to find out.

JWYoungs who make a lot of the new pins available, also have some info on their older pins, available here:

http://www.jwyoungs.co.uk/

And if you've got plenty of time, then there is this monster-thread on a forum across the pond with plenty of pics of old and new reels:

http://www.questoutdoors.net/phpBB2/about172.html

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Read all the info. especially liked the Wallis cast video.

Cheers Eaglet.

{2008 Editor's Note - please click here to view centrepin reels for sale}