River Tweed Coarse Fishing

teejay

I know there are several Scottish coarse anglers participating on this forum from previous threads and I'm eager to find out what the current state of the roach/dace fishing is on the Tweed. I've done some googling and it sounds like there was some fine fishing available up until about 20 or 30 years ago.

I understand that the decline in this fishery was a result of the netting carried out by salmon interests (presumably the Tweed Commissioners). I'm not sure that what they did back then would be acceptable today particularly as their remit covers all freshwater fish and not just salmon and sea trout. I also understand that the coarse fishing was free on the lower river back then but I'm guessing that the protection order now in place prohibits anyone from just turning up and plonking themselves down on the bank. According to the Coldstream AA page on the FishTweed website, coarse fishing tickets are still available for the town water at Coldstream but I've not been able to contact anyone to confirm this and to find out if it's worth a go.

As I live in Edinburgh the opportunities available to trot a stick float down a river (without driving 200 miles first!) are fairly limited so any info would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Tony

The tidal stretch at Horncliffe used to be very good for roach years ago. Do not know how it fishes now though. Try getting in touch with Bigwaters angling club,Northumberland. They should be abole to help :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

The tidal stretch at Horncliffe used to be very good for roach years ago. Do not know how it fishes now though. Try getting in touch with Bigwaters angling club,Northumberland. They should be abole to help :)

Hi

I`m in Big Waters and Im afraid I can`t see you getting much info there,were Newcastle based and nearer Woodlands than the Tweed!!

I regularly drive up to Edinburgh from Newcastle. I am also in both the Bigwaters and Wansbeck and Cramlington clubs. I would reckon on a two hour drive to either from where you are. Coldstream is about halfway. I am quite sure that there is nothing else this far North on the East coast, but like all things I stand to be corrected.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

It's seems as if the Tweed is all but finished as a coarse venue from what I'm hearing so far.

BTW john mclaren snr, thanks for the link - that's quite a comprehensive list of Scottish coarse fishing venues. One river is not mentioned though and that's the Annan - another place I'd like to have a go at. FishAnnan mentions two beats that do cater for the coarse angler (as opposed to just seklling 'grayling' tickets) and those are Royal Four Towns and Kirkwood. Unfortunately, I think Kirkwood requires coarse anglers to stay in their cottages if they are to fish. Has anyone here fished Royal Four Towns?